Please whitelist cPanel in your adblocker so that you’re able to see our version release promotions, thanks!

The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!

AutoSSL not working with Wordpress Sub-domain sites

Discussion in 'Security' started by willke, Oct 17, 2017.

1. willke

willke Well-Known Member

Hi,

I have a Wordpress Multisite, with a main site and 5 sub-domain sites

domain.com
    one.domain.com
    two.domain.com
    three.domain.com
    four.domain.com
    five.domain.com

I added a SSL cert via AutoSSL and it works fine for domain.com but not for any sub-domain.

I understand Wordpress Multisite uses wildcard *.domain.com for sub-domains but I can't work out how to get a working secure site for all sub-domain sites ... one.domain.com etc

Do I now set-up separate sub-domains in Cpanel? If so, will not that screw/conflict with the wildcard *.domain.com ?

Thanks,

Will.

#1 willke, Oct 17, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 17, 2017
  2. cPWilliamL

cPWilliamL cP Technical Analyst II
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hi @willke,

Unfortunately, for AutoSSL to issue an SSL CRT, the domain must exist in the Apache configuration; else, it's completely unaware of the domain. I believe we are looking into providing wildcard SSL CRT's via AutoSSL; however, this has some obvious security concerns and needs a thorough review from our security and QA teams. For the time being, I'm afraid you'll need to create a subdomain for each site for AutoSSL to issue the SSL CRT's, and I do believe that would cause some conflicts with you're existing wildcard domain; so it would need to be removed.

Thanks,

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. willke

willke Well-Known Member

Thanks William. I'm reticent about removing an existing wildcard and then everything crumbling down, so I'll need to consider what to do next.

4. cPWilliamL

cPWilliamL cP Technical Analyst II
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    I certainly understand your concern. It's been awhile since I've played with MultiSites. I would recommend copying the account to a staging server and testing the process there to ensure that your MultiSites still function properly when moved from a wildcard to specific subdomains. Or perhaps, it may be easier to replicate the same setup on a new account/domain on the same server to determine the behavior and potential issues.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. willke

willke Well-Known Member

Thanks. I was thinking of first trying to set-up a new subdomain (eg six.domain.com) and seeing if that would work on both WP Multisite and https on AutoSSL - maybe being too optimistic! :)

6. verdon

verdon Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    I do Multisite like this all the time, I never use any wildcard sub-domains, always create sub-domains within cpanel first, then create the site in multi-site. I've also done some like this with parked domain names mapped to the sub-domains (requires a WP plugin for the mapping within WP), and that has worked too.