Please whitelist cPanel in your adblocker so that you’re able to see our version release promotions, thanks!

The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SOLVED AutoSSL only for subdomain?

Discussion in 'Security' started by Malachi, Feb 12, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Malachi

Malachi Registered

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Not sure if this is possible, and if it is how.. but here's the deal:
    I have a domain (www) that has a regular SSL certificate (not a free one). That ssl certificate is just for the www and non-www part of the domain. So far so good.

However.... I have a subdomain (let's call it "blog") that therefore has no certificate. I want to use the Autossl feature for this. The blog has been set up as a subdomain of the domain, so it does not have it's own "account" within WHM.
    Is it possible to use the Let's Encrypt/Comodo free certificate for this through the Autossl feature? And if so, how?

2. Malachi

Malachi Registered

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    I found the answer in another thread: Paid SSL on Domain, Free AutoSSL on Subdomains?

Thanks for your response... the link I just gave has the answer. Note however, that the "security" block can be found in the individual account... in case you have a reseller account with a bunch of accounts in it.
    Second note: Besides this.. if you have a regular SSL certificate installed, simply turn on the AutoSSL for that domain anyway, but make sure you have the checkbox unchecked that says "Allow AutoSSL to replace invalid or expiring non-AutoSSL certificates." (This option will allow AutoSSL to replace certificates that the AutoSSL system did not issue. When you enable this option, AutoSSL will install certificates that replace users’ CA-issued certificates if they are invalid or expire within 3 days.)
    Therefore, any installed certificates will stay where they are and AutoSSL will not replace those. AutoSSL will take care of subdomains that need a certificate though...

3. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello,

I'm glad to see you found the solution. Thank you for sharing the outcome.