The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SOLVED AWS Backup High Loads

Discussion in 'Data Protection' started by kennyLtv, Mar 12, 2017.

1. kennyLtv

kennyLtv Registered

cPanel Access Level:
    Reseller Owner
    So our server is backing up to AWS S3 system, during the backup around 2:30 AM est til around 4:30 AM EST the servers CPU iowait time is high and causes downtime for users if they were to visit the site. I was wonder if anyone had had a similar problem or maybe an idea on how to fix it.

The backup runs uncompressed and is ~60gb of data between 30 ish accounts.

2. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello,

You may want to consider reducing the following value under the "Stats and Logs" tab in "WHM >> Tweak Settings":

Extra CPUs for server load

Per it's description:

The load average above the number of CPUs at which cpuwatch, cpanellogd, backups, and CPU stats consider the system to be in a critical load state. For example, a server with 4 physical CPUs and a value of 2 in this field will be considered “critical” in these cases once the load reaches 6.

This will pause the backup process if the load average reaches the set value. Additionally, you may want to adjust the following option in "WHM >> Tweak Settings" under the "System" tab:

I/O priority level at which nightly backups are run

Per it's description:

You must compile ionice with your kernel to use this option. ionice manages I/O scheduling for processes on your system. Specifying a lower value for this option gives the process a higher priority. This option can accept integer values between 0 and 7.

Thank you.

3. kennyLtv

kennyLtv Registered

cPanel Access Level:
    Reseller Owner
    UPDATE:

I seem to have omitted the fact that we are running Cloud Linux. We continued to look for other solutions and we found a thread here. Which seems to have reduced our load by using the LVE Wrapper from CloudLinux.

So thank you cPanelMichael for your input, just thought I would put this update maybe for someone else having a similar problem.

cPanelMichael likes this.
  4. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello,

I'm happy to see you were able to find a viable solution. Thank you for updating this thread with the outcome.