Please whitelist cPanel in your adblocker so that you’re able to see our version release promotions, thanks!

The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!

AWS cPanel machine image

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by jimlongo, Jun 27, 2018.

Tags:
  1. jimlongo

jimlongo Well-Known Member

We're considering purchasing an AMI with cPanel. I have a couple questions for anyone who has experience with these products.

Either AWS Marketplace: cPanel & WHM for Linux OR AWS Marketplace: CloudLinux 7 cPanel

Q1: Both of these seem to be very attractive if I'm understanding this properly. You pay for the AWS instance and the software license is free?

Q2: in the case of the first image (cPanel/WHM) the version of cPanel is a little behind, can you upgrade the cPanel software just as you would any other installation.

Q3: anyone have any experience with the CloudLinux version. I've never used this, given that the cost appears to be the same would you recommend this option?

Any other input on this would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

2. cPanelKenneth

cPanelKenneth cPanel Development
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hi Jimlongo,

Q1: the AMIs come with trial licenses. To use CloudLinux and cPanel & WHM beyond their trial period requires a paid license to those products. The AMIs use the "Bring Your Own License" model.

Q2: Yes, you can upgrade the AMI-based cPanel & WHM to the latest version. The version in the AMI is simply the latest AMI approved by Amazon. We have a newer one pending approval, but no timeline on that.

Q3: CloudLinux is great if you will have multiple users on the server. It allows you to keep the users, and their websites, separated from other users.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. jimlongo

jimlongo Well-Known Member

Thanks.

Someone should really clear up the pages at AWS. The word trial doesn't appear anywhere. I'm glad I asked because that was certainly not what those pages lead me to believe.