The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AWS EC2 IP address issues

Discussion in 'Bind / DNS / Nameserver Issues' started by actived, Feb 15, 2016.

1. actived

actived Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Website Owner
    Hi,
    I'm using a trial cPanel license on an m4.large AWS EC2 instance.
    By default AWS allows one Elastic IP mapped to the server's internal IP.
    I have completed NAT validation upto Step 9 in this Howto:
    How to Build a Hosting Environment on Amazon AWS - cPanel Knowledge Base - cPanel Documentation.
    The 52.x.x.x <-> 10.x.x.x NAT mapping is validated

However, cPanel's Nameserver setup demands 2 IPs - I do not want to add 2 more EC2 instances which will act as nameservers because I plan to run just one domain on the EC2 instance.
    So the architecture mentioned in AWS cPanel blog (Part 1: How I Built a cPanel Hosting Environment on Amazon AWS | cPanel Blog) is not useful to me.

Due to not choosing to make 2 extra EC2 instances to act as Nameservers, Step 10 "Configure the DNS cluster" cannot be completed as it shows "There are currently no servers in your DNS cluster."

Is there at all a way to use AWS EC2 + cPanel with just a single instance?

I managed to add DNS records from mydomain.com -> AWS EC2 IP and so the site works, but I cannot access the WHM interface using https://mydomain.com:2087, rather only by http://elasticip:2087.

Any help is much appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
    Regards,
    Dave

2. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello :)

We currently support Amazon Linux. To install Amazon Linux, follow the instructions in the Amazon Web Services documentation:

Tutorial: Installing a LAMP Web Server on Amazon Linux - Amazon Elastic Compute Cloud

Note that we only support Amazon Linux on the official cPanel AMI. To find this AMI, click the Community AMIs tab in the AWS marketplace.

Thank you.

3. actived

actived Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Website Owner
    Hi,
    Firstly, thanks for the quick reply!

Now, I may sound a bit dumb, but because I'm not an expert linux admin (mostly rely on google), I want to confirm that

1. the only way to run a single EC2 instance cPanel setup on AWS with Nameservers installed inside the instance itself (like on a traditional VPS), is to use this AMI: "Official cPanel CURRENT (11.52.0.13) - Amazon Linux (2015.09) - ami-ec27cadf"

Well, then the concern is that it seems cPanel+AmazonLinux is pretty new :
    Amazon Linux Support

So, once I purchase the cPanel license, I would like to be sure that there will be support for Amazon Linux (because it seems to be a mix of RHEL/Centos and Fedora and a rolling release distro too)

If I understand right, the other options for me are:
    2. To disable Nameservers and do all the DNS record management from my domain provider control panel.
    Since I will be hosting mostly just one site, this should hopefully not be a problem.

3. To follow this blog post (Part 1: How I Built a cPanel Hosting Environment on Amazon AWS | cPanel Blog) and create any extra t2.micro EC2 instances which serve as Nameservers.

Did I understand all this correctly?

Thanks again,
    Regards,
    Dave

4. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator