The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Awstats eating all disc storage

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Zazoos1, Apr 13, 2008.

1. Zazoos1

Zazoos1 Well-Known Member

Hi, All.

I am recently running into several of my accounts reaching their disc quota and upon examination all of them are suffering from a high volume of Awstats temp files which is using 100's of megs in their account.

Is this normal? It is happening on all my servers and all are configured to 'Delete each domain's access logs after stats run' and the option for 'Keep log files at the end of the month' is not checked.

Any help is appreciated.

Thank you.

2. Kent Brockman

Kent Brockman Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    Did you see the contents of the stats thru awstats? if the sites consuming such 100's of MB are portals or a bit popular websites it is very feasible that those hits generate big stats logs. It's a good practice to use only one stats script, so if you like AWstats, just disable using Analog and Webalizer to afford some free space at any account (if you disable those two scripts, it is also recommended that you delete their folders contents at every affected account).

If the affected websites are not so popular, stats may be logging some kind of attack or being victim of image hotlinking, which also consume bandwidth.

Did you checked the bandwidth usage of those affected websites?

What date the logs files have started counting hits? I have some domains hosted since 2003 and its historically stored stats sum up to 120 MB. That's because your issue still don't surprise me ;)

3. Zazoos1

Zazoos1 Well-Known Member

Thanks for your reply.

The site is not very popular, gets on average 220 visits per day according to Awstats. Webalizers log file is only about 4 megs and the majority of the Awstats log files (284 megs) have been in the last few days (site is not yet a year old). I deleted the excessive log file for April 11th and 12th and now Awstats reports its temp files are not even one whole meg (0.47meg).

This is my third hosting account this week to suddenly skyrocket in disc storage due to Awstats. Bandwidth is quite low on all accounts, not even totaling 5 megs for the entire month.

4. Kent Brockman

Kent Brockman Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    ok, and according to AWstats, what are the topmost visited pages at that website? did those logs have sense?

Maybe, in the other hand, to be a faulty script running in the website. Does it uses plain HTML or is running some PHP/mysql scripts? I remember last year a similar issue with a site that have bad programming in a script showing people online, and it not consumed too much bandwidth, however that script used to work inside an iframe which received multiple hits, increasing terribly the stats log.