The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Awstats & GeoIP - GeoIPFree

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by chae, Jun 16, 2004.

1. chae

chae Well-Known Member

Been using awstats for a while now and several customers now want to see the results of countries visiting their sites.

We have DNS Lookup disabled for awstats as we have read it's a resource hog for the server, on the awstats site and on the results of several searches on the topic geoip is recommended.

Have loaded on both Perl Modules via WHM and installation was successful. Now the problem is in the blurb that I'm reading on the Awstats site and on various other sites/posts they state that the Geo folder needs to be copied in to the Apache cgi-bin and the .pm file should be in the awstats plugin directory.

Where the heck is the awstats plugin directory cause I can't find it on the server and nowhere actually states where it is.

Has anyone else had success getting either geoip or geoipfree to work with awstats?

From one site I visited...

Summary of miniTutorial :
    Basically then, the 'Geo' folder and its containing 4 files need to be copied into the /cgi-bin/plugins/ directory of your Apache folder. Then , your awstats config file for your site needs to be configured to find this file by un-commenting out the line which reads #LoadPlugin="geoipfree"

Done that and no joy...modified both the /usr/local/cpanel/etc/awstats.conf file and also the awstats file found in the tmp folder of a local user.

2. adept2003

adept2003 Well-Known Member

Are you using Geo::IP or Geo::IPfree?

It appears that Geo::IPfree has a problem working with AWStats, so use Geo::IP.

3. chae

chae Well-Known Member

Have already tried that...

downloaded the tarball and then installed it then went to WHM and installed the Perl module from there.

Then I updated my awstats.conf to include the following...

LoadPlugin="geoip GEOIP_STANDARD"

Regenerated the stats and the following error again...

Error: Can't open plugin file "geoip.pm" for read. Check if file is in "./plugins" directory and is readable.

Setup ('/home/xxxxxxxx/tmp/awstats/awstats.xxxxxxxx.com.conf' file, web server or permissions) may be wrong.
    See AWStats documentation in 'docs' directory for informations on how to setup awstats.

I then jumped into the site in question and modified the tmp awstats.conf file and included the LoadPlugin line - regenerated stats and again the same error...mmmhhhh

If you have it working can you let me know what process you went through and if you modified files or copied folders what were they. I've spent hours reading and searching and no-one has a define answer to this.

Regards

Chae

Also noticed that in the GeoIP folder the perl module is called IP.pm not geoip.pm as the error message states - maybe this has something to do it.

#3 chae, Jun 20, 2004
    Last edited: Jun 20, 2004