The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Awstats not Updating

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by stewartn, Oct 22, 2005.

1. stewartn

stewartn Member

The host I use for my server is telling me the automated awstats update is failing to run due to a heavy load on the server. They claim the service will not start when the server is under a heavy load.

I find this extremly hard to believe, especially since it has run fine for over 1 year and only started having consistent problems over the last week. I would appreciate any feedback from admins that would either help me understand how this could be a potential cause or provide ammo to take back to my host.

Thanks!

#1 stewartn, Oct 22, 2005
    Last edited: Oct 22, 2005
  2. webignition

webignition Well-Known Member

An option exists in WHM to specify the load average above which log processing should be suspended. This defaults to zero, meaning that log processing will not occur if the value of the load average, at the start of the log run, is greater than the number of CPUs.

This option can be modified, however I doubt that your host will want to do so as if the load average is already high, processing logs at the same time could easily push the load too high and thus cause further problems.

There is, however, a simple option concerning how often logs are processed.

The default is to process logs once every 24 hours. If this is the current choice with your host AND if the time of day the logs are processed happens to unfortunately coincide with the running of nightly backups, the logs may not be processed as the backup processes normally increase the load average quite noticably.

You then might want to ask your host if they can change the frequency with which logs are processed. Doing so may cause problems if lots of logs have to be processed and they end up being processed during the busiest times of the day, however this is extremely dependent on a given server. I, for example, have logs processed on an hourly basis (my clients seem to like this), and it doesn't cause any real problem load-wise.

To summarise, if log processing is set to occur once every 24 hours and is coinciding with daily backups, log processing is likely to be suspended. Changing the frequently with which logs are processed, or indeed changing the time of the day that backups occur, may sort this out.

Conversely, if logs and backups and other things are not happening at the same time and logs are set to be processed quite often, your host should really start looking into what is pushing up the load averages sufficiently to prevent log processing.

3. stewartn

stewartn Member

Thanks for the detailed reply.

The updates are scheduled to run every 24 hours and the start time is moved ahead by 15-20 minutes each night. This always seemed a bit odd to me but I guess this is their way of trying to avoid a consistent conflict with apps that hosted servers might run at various times throughout the day.

I think your last sentence hits the nail ont he head. Even if there is a conflict, they should be able to determine what is causing the bottleneck and either move selected sites off the server or modify the maintenance schedule.

Thanks again.

4. oanielsen

oanielsen Member

I updated to 10.8.0-STABLE 59 on the 21st. AwStats has not run on ANY domain since then. I notice within /cpanel directory for each domain there is an icon at the bottom for statistics config, but it doesn't do anything. There is nothing new in /whm to handle this either.

What gives?

Where can I get this going again without having to run /sciprts/runweblogs for each domain everyday?

5. oanielsen

oanielsen Member

It appears the latest update sets the load average parameter back down to 0. I used to have it at 3 so that stats would run. I got a quick response from cpanel support, changed it back to 3, and all seems to be running again.