The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

awstats reporting corrupted logs

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Jason Brice, Jun 26, 2006.

1. Jason Brice

Jason Brice Active Member

Sep 29, 2001

I run a very busy site, and because of the size of the logs it generates, I often have to clear them out. First I run awstats from shell (/scripts/runweblogs user), move the log so I can gzip, then restart apache, which starts the logs generating again.

Today I found that when I attempted to run awstats from the update link on the stats page it reports that more than the first 50 lines of the log are corrupted. This is the error I got:

AWStats did not find any valid log lines that match your LogFormat parameter, in the 50th first non commented lines read of your log.
    Your log file /usr/local/apache/domlogs/ must have a bad format or LogFormat parameter setup does not match this format.
    Your AWStats LogFormat parameter is: 1
    This means each line in your web server log file need to have "combined log format" like this: - - [10/Jan/2001:02:14:14 +0200] "GET / HTTP/1.1" 200 1234 "" "Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 5.01; Windows NT 5.0)" 
    And this is an example of records AWStats found in your log file (the record number 50 in your log): - - [25/Jun/2006:11:06:23 -0400] "-" 408 - "-" "-"
    I edited the awstats.user.conf file to permit more than 50 corrupt lines. That worked fine, but when I run /scripts/runweblogs user it changes the conf file setting back to 50 lines. When I attempt to run the stats from the page link, it seems to run fine, but times out after a while.

What do I do to run awstats by itself, and not the rest of the stuff in runweblogs?