The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

awstats? webalizer?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by corey_s, Jun 20, 2005.

1. corey_s

corey_s Member

Hello - we're using cpanel9 ( on centos3.5 ); I was looking into getting statistics working: namely w/ awstats.

However when I go into the 'Web / Ftp Statistics', I do not see an option for awstats, only for analyzer and webalyzer.

What do I need to do to get awstats installed/available?

( I did some poking around on our server ( we're a hosting provider ) ), and I can see that awstats exists as installed by cpanel; but I don't know why awstats isn't showing up as an available option in the statistics panel. )

Also - the primary reason we want awstats specifically - is because it claims to be able to provide stats for streaming servers ( we're using apple's Darwin Streaming Server ) -- does anyone here happen to know whether webalyzer is capable of providing stats for DSS also?

Many thanks!

#1 corey_s, Jun 20, 2005
    Last edited: Jun 20, 2005
  2. aby

aby Well-Known Member

Please enable awstats from WHM

WHM >> tweak settings >>Stats Programs

------
    Aby :)

3. webignition

webignition Well-Known Member

You might also want to check that awstats is selected in the feature list assigned to the account in question.

I might also not be a bad idea to upgrade WHM/cPanel, as version 9 is now somewhat outdated.

4. corey_s

corey_s Member

Cool - thanks for the help!

Next question: would you suggest toggling on one or more of the following:

"Allow users to update awstats from Cpanel"
    "Delete each domain's status logs after stats run"
    "Keep stats log between cpanel restarts"

( sorry for these, I'm new to cpanel/whm - but need to get this up and running Real Quick[tm]; I relealize I could research and answer myself, I do appreciate the help. )

[ I'll update the cpanel and whm also, what are the latest versions? And what sort of risk is there when updating that stuff gets hosed? ] It looks like I'm using cpanel and whm version 9.9.9

#4 corey_s, Jun 20, 2005
    Last edited: Jun 20, 2005
  5. webignition

webignition Well-Known Member

"Delete each domain's status logs after stats run" is a definite must
    http://layer2.cpanel.net gives you the latest versions.

In WHM > Server Setup > Update Config, set the cPanel/WHM updates to either Manual updates only (RELEASE tree) or Manual updates only (CURRENT TREE) and then update using either:

1. WHM > Cpanel <version> > Update To Latest Version
    2. SSH as root and type:

/scripts/updatenow
    /scripts/upcp

You shouldn't generally see the introduction of any major issues updating to the RELEASE or CURRENT trees, but sometimes be prepared to resolve things if you choose EDGE.

6. corey_s

corey_s Member

Thanks again for all the help.

Before I get off your backs, I ran into one issue:

After enabling the awstats in whm, then choosing to use awstats in cpanel for one of our virtual-hosts, I got an error message saying that it couldn't open the config file; and suggests a few things - including running './../../tools/configure.pl'; however I looked on our server ( as root ), and could not find that script... is that a problem? Should it be there?

Should I simply just throw /usr/local/cpanel/etc/awstats.conf into /home/<user/virt-host>/tmp/awstats'? I could certainly do that as root, but would this mean we have to do so manualy for every one of our clients/users/virt-hosts?

7. RickG

RickG Well-Known Member

Each time AWStats runs it takes a copy of /usr/local/cpanel/etc/awstats.conf and copies it to a file (with various substitutions made) to /home/accountname/tmp/awstats/awstats.domainname.com.conf

You'll be fine tomorrow morning after the stats have run for the first time and that file has been created.

8. corey_s

corey_s Member

Excellent, thank you.

What would be the appropriate way to manually execute a global awstats for the whm/cpanel server in order to expedite this?

9. RickG

RickG Well-Known Member

10. corey_s

corey_s Member

Perfect - thanks so much everyone for all the help; much appreciated!