The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Back Up Config

Discussion in 'Data Protection' started by PCZero, Jan 8, 2010.

1. PCZero

PCZero Well-Known Member

Is there a way to back up some sites daily and other monthly?

2. Infopro

Infopro cPanel Sr. Product Evangelist
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    Not that I'm aware of.

3. PCZero

PCZero Well-Known Member

Can resellers set up automated back ups for their clients or can automated back ups be done at the client level?

4. thewebhosting

thewebhosting Well-Known Member

It is not possible from WHM. However, if you wish then you can create shell scripts to do it. Users can generate/download backup from cPanel using "Backups" option.

5. cPanelDon

cPanelDon cPanel Quality Assurance Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    Twitter:
    Friendly Moderator Note

I've relocated this thread into the Data Protection discussion forum as it relates to backup configurations and applicable customization.

Automated backups as configured in WHM (via root access) are performed server-wide and are not currently customizable by resellers or end-users; however, it is technically possible for users to create and use custom scripts to automate downloading backups via cPanel.

6. PCZero

PCZero Well-Known Member

Thanks Don... I was thinking along those lines, but it would be nice to have this ability at WHM level in a future release. Sort of an accoutn by account back up level.

My situation is that I have no resellers and I include back ups as part of my hosting. Depending on the level of hosting that a client has, the back ups are performed at either the daily, weekly, or monthly basis. It would be great to have a check for those levels on the screen where you select which accounts to back up so that each account would be backed up at the request interval.

Can you provide an example of the syntax to run a back up from a script? I imagine once I have the script written, I can simply addd it as a cron job. I'd prefer to have the jobs run at the server level (one each for weekly, daily, monthly) to back up the specific accounts, rather than have an individual script on each account's cron.

7. Infopro

Infopro cPanel Sr. Product Evangelist
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
  8. cPanelDon

cPanelDon cPanel Quality Assurance Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    Twitter:
    I don't have an example custom script on-hand, but there are at least a few to be found via searching the forums. I recommend following the applicable feature request threads like Infopro suggested as this will help more as a long-term solution; adding any thoughts or opinions in the threads will also help by letting us know which feature requests are the most popular or that would be the most useful to users of cPanel and WHM.

As far as creating backups via command-line, where it could be scripted, I would look at using the pkgacct script, as seen below; at minimum it takes a username as an argument, but there are a few other options available, such as specifying the directory where to save the backup ("$tarroot") as seen when reading the script contents:
    Code:
    # /scripts/pkgacct $user