The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

background process killer

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by felosi, Jul 18, 2007.

1. felosi

felosi Active Member

I have a few shell accounts on my box and never used this feature but I wanted to make sure that other users wasnt running processes that was not supposed to. So I enabled it, and put ALL of the trusted users who are allowed to run processes in the trusted users, then I enabled it.
    About an hour or so later it kills every ircd and bnc process on the box, all of them trusted users.
    I tried it twice, cant afford to do it too much as customers will comlpain. Any way to fix this? Is this feature even known to work like its supposed to and ignore trusted users? A few other people told me it wont ignore trusted users and will kill all selected background processes anyway no matter what.

Anyone know how to fix this? Would be a useful feature if it in fact did actually ignore trusted users. But then again, could just be something on my box.

2. deadlock

deadlock Well-Known Member

Yes you're not alone, I'm having the same problem. Background processes (any kind of scripts) get killed after exactly an hour even for trusted users. It's annoying :(

3. ike

ike Well-Known Member

did you guys find a solution to this?

what i would like to know though is what some of them mean.

generic-sniffers
    guardservices
    ptlink
    services

has anyone got a more explansive explanation for these?

tnx in advance for your help

4. deadlock

deadlock Well-Known Member

Mine was my own fault. The particular scripts I was playing with were being piped via mail, and the mail delivery process was dying after an hour, taking the script process with it. I lived and learned :)