The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Backing Up To Home Server

Discussion in 'Data Protection' started by jeves, Jun 19, 2009.

1. jeves

jeves Registered

Hi,

I am planning on starting my own hosting company. Is It a good idea to backup to a home server(just a normal OS). Effectively backing up to a home PC. The server wont be used for anything other than backing up.

2. rgpayne

rgpayne Well-Known Member

Not recommended for the commercial setting I would just get another drive placed in your internet server most DC only charge 10 - 20 a month for a 500gn - 1 tb drive, plus consider if you have problems you are going to have to wait longer for you to "upload all the backup files before you can restore anything, now if you are talking about a secondary backup plan ie. server backups to local drive and then you run a cron to backup to your home pc I see nothing wrong with that other than inreased bandwidth, and cpu process, and IO timing

3. damianz

damianz Member

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    If your serious about running a hosting company Do not run any of the servers from your house. Datacenters are there for a reason ;)

If you seriously want to which would be kinda stupid. There are multiple options such as rsync, ftp, sftp, scp etc. They also depend on what OS.

4. cpanelinfoseeker

cpanelinfoseeker Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    I have backed up the backup files to my home computer in the past, and even with a high speed cable modem the copy took 2-3 hours for all the accounts (about 8 hours on a regular dsl line). I now transfer it to another server in the datacenter and it is done in about 18 - 22 minutes!

Also restoring the files is MUCH quicker through the server to server setup!

Bottom line, worth the extra cost for a second server!
    my 2 cents,
    Ron