The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

backing up to /home

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by joun_mp, Oct 17, 2009.

1. joun_mp

joun_mp Registered

I know that backing up to /home is a "very bad idea" as per cpanel help. However that's the only partition where I have space and I have no second disk. So if I back up only a few accounts is it still a no-no?

2. Infopro

Infopro cPanel Sr. Product Evangelist
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    IIRC, cPanel will not allow it. You can pick up a VPS somewhere very cheap, you could ask your DC to add another drive, you can back up to a home server even, all of those are good ideas. Backing up to the same drive as the accounts are on? Not so good.

Why bother backing up at all if it's not to a secure location off the drive/server? If someone gets in it could all be wiped in seconds, then where would you be?

3. Spiral

Spiral BANNED

Another thing you could do if getting a second drive is not an option ....

Reduce the size of your current /home partition and create a new partition with the space such as /backup

Alternatively, you could use /scripts/pkgacct which backups directly to /home by default ;)

Very basic script to run 'pkgacct' against all your accounts:
    Code:
    #!/bin/bash
    IFS="$"

/bin/ls -- /var/cpanel/users | /bin/grep -v "\.\|root\|mysql\|nobody\|cpanel" | while read CPUSER; do
       /scripts/pkgacct "${CPUSER}"
    done

#3 Spiral, Oct 18, 2009
    Last edited: Oct 18, 2009
  4. joun_mp

joun_mp Registered

Thanks for the answers, guys! I think its too late for /home partition resizing - I already have some stuff on it :mad:
    I'll try getting some NAS/VPS or backup it to /home Spiral's script and move the backups offsite.