The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Backup a sub-folder

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Rick_Stanley, Nov 3, 2008.

1. Rick_Stanley

Rick_Stanley Registered

You have two options in the "Partial" Backup Wizard, "Home Directory", and "MySQL Database". You need one more option. Allow the user to Backup a specific directory within the Home directory hierarchy such as a sub-domain, or a specific directory further down in the hierarchy. I am quite surprised that this is not present, as this is a fairly standard option!

It makes no sense to have to backup the entire hierarchy which could be multiple gigabytes of data when I only need a one megabyte directory hierarchy! Think of the Bandwidth that could be saved as a result of adding this simple option!

Please add this to the next version of the software.

Thank you!

2. Rick_Stanley

Rick_Stanley Registered

You have two options in the "Partial" Backup Wizard, "Home Directory", and "MySQL Database". You need one more option. Allow the user to Backup a specific directory within the Home directory hierarchy such as a sub-domain, or a specific directory further down in the hierarchy. I am quite surprised that this is not present, as this is a fairly standard option!

It makes no sense to have to backup the entire hierarchy which could be multiple gigabytes of data when I only need a one megabyte directory hierarchy! Think of the Bandwidth that could be saved as a result of adding this simple option!

Please add this to the next version of the software.

Thank you!

3. Infopro

Infopro cPanel Sr. Product Evangelist
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    You can compress a single directory via the file manager easy enough, right?

4. Computerbob

Computerbob Active Member

I don't disagree with you on the backup issue. But cPanel isn't in the backup business. If you only want to backup a subfolder then use FTP to do it.

I know you want cPanel to improve the backup for the end user, but I don't think you will see this any time soon. If this is something you beleive in strongely, they you need to put in a enhancement request. Posting a single post in the forum will do nothing.

The best backup I have seen, and am using, is the R1Software server backup. It intergrates with cPanel and allow end users to access the restore for there cPanel account.

Bob