The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Backup Alternatives, Incremental, My SQL InnoDB

Discussion in 'Data Protection' started by consultant, Dec 3, 2015.

1. consultant

consultant Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    I recently moved off a full-managed server to semi-managed and they only do weekly backups. While the Cpanel built-in backup function is conveniently included, having no experience with it before I'm wondering how robust/effective it really is.

On my previous host, if I needed restore of a MySQL InnoDB table, it was not a trivial process and I'm curious if the Cpanel restore has robust enough functionality to restore an individual table from a specific database?

Moreover, I'm dissapointed you can't do compressed incremental backups. This leads me to believe maybe a lot of CPanel users with systems where backup and recovery are critical, may be using alternative solutions.

Is there an alternative solution (preferably no-cost/open source) I should look at?

It would be nice on certain mission-critical databases to do hourly incrementals or at least hourly syncs to another duplicate database to protect against someone screwing up the DB. I suppose mastery of the mysqbackup cmd might fill this need?

2. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello :)

There's no native functionality for this type of restoration. While you can choose to backup databases, and/or the entire MySQL data directory, restoring an individual table would require you to manually extract the database and utilize the MySQL command line to insert the data. As far as third-party backup solutions, R1Soft is commonly used, but I'm not aware of a specific provider with the type of robustness you are seeking.

Thank you.

3. consultant

consultant Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Thanks for the confirmation of what I suspected. I think a solution like R1Soft is overkill (although I see they have a free Linux snapshot tool but that's not going to help me very well with easy restoration of individual MySQL tables - maybe that's what you were referring to?)

I've determined the best solution is a cron even that runs every 2 hours that does a mysqldump of the mission critical database and gzips it up with 24 hour retention.

4. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator