The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Backup and large (6gb) website

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Rikki, May 13, 2007.

1. Rikki

Rikki Member

Hi,

I have a large website and wish to back it up all in the one go via cPanel (instead of downloading the whole thing bit by bit).

When I create a Full Backup I cant seem to download it via FTP or through Internet explorer. Since the resulting file is over 4gb Im not sure if thats a problem (as it is on Windows and FAT32).

Can someone give me some advice on this please.

Thanks,

Rikki

2. Infopro

Infopro cPanel Sr. Product Evangelist
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    Well, you answered your own question really. FAT32 limits file size to 2GB. There are threads around this forum discussing large files. Might be worth a dig.

If you have logging enabled on your account, you might free up a ton of space (technical term ;) ) by turning it off as well.

BTW, with a tool like partition magic or acronis disk director you could create a second partition on your local PC and make that NTFS quite easy. Then you can place large files there.

But that won't solve the large file size issues on your server.

Good luck.

3. Rikki

Rikki Member

Re-reading my post I realise I could have worded it better :(

"(as it is on Windows and FAT32)."

What I meant was :

"(Just like the way Windows deals with FAT32 and has issues with 4gb+ sizes)"

I didnt mean its on a Windows server or that I am using Fat32, Im on NTFS thankfully and the server is Linux.

Thanks

R

4. Solokron

Solokron Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    Hello Rikki,

Actually the problem is with your FTP service. PureFTP has a limitation of 2gbs which is one reason you may see cPanel breaking down large files when transferring across servers. ProFTP can be setup for files larger than 2gbs but it involves a few changes.

Using your existing setup, and an SSH session, one option is to break the file down into smaller segments and rejoin on the return system. If you already have a backup in your account that is fine. If not you can use

/scripts/pkgacct username

with either file use the split command. I prefer 1gb segments. Be sure you have plenty of space before you do this and it may take a while as it creates these files one at a time.
    The following will create 1gb file segments.

split -b 1000000000 username.tar.gz username

You can then ftp these files or stick them into your /usr/local/apache/htdocs/ directory and download them via server name. http://yourserver.com/usernameaa for example is one option.

After all files are downloaded, to rejoin in a *nix environment, use
    cat file1 file2 file3 > bigfile

In Windows, open a virtual command prompt, go to the directory where you have the files downloaded and run

copy /b file1 + file2 originalfile

You could probably use a freeware program to do the same via the GUI.