The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Backup Blocks Website access

Discussion in 'Data Protection' started by fgunno, Apr 28, 2017.

Tags:
  1. fgunno

fgunno Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    With the new System Backup we have a problem that all the website on server is going down for the time of the backup process...

Does it's a feature to prevent change on account?
    (The website connect to MYSQL, so maybe its a Freeze on the MYSQL to prevent change)

I just want to know if it's normal? or if I have a problem on the backup process?

Thanks!

2. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello,

Could you provide some more information about the state of the system when the websites are inaccessible? Do you notice any particular error messages in /usr/local/apache/logs/error_log or in /var/lib/mysql/$hostname.err when this happens? Is the server load high when this happens?

Thank you.

3. MediaServe

MediaServe Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    Twitter:
    I've seen similar problems on some of our servers--typically during the cleanup phase when the cPanel backup is pruning old backups. This pushes up the server load more than I would like, and apache often becomes unresponsive (though the server load isn't high enough that it should be completely unresponsive.)

4. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello,

You can also browse to the "Stats and Logs" tab in "WHM Home » Server Configuration » Tweak Settings" and modify the following option:

"Extra CPUs for server load"

Per it's description:

The load average above the number of CPUs at which cpuwatch, cpanellogd, backups, and CPU stats consider the system to be in a critical load state. For example, a server with 4 physical CPUs and a value of 2 in this field will be considered “critical” in these cases once the load reaches 6.

The backup process will pause until the load is below the configured threshold.

Thank you.