The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Backup causes site to go down

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Csel, Mar 20, 2010.

1. Csel

Csel Registered

Hello all,

I've just been hijacked into administering our website, and am new to CPanel. Our hosting service cannot figure out what our problem is, so I'm hoping you can help.

Any time I log in to CPanel and simply click the "Backup" icon, our database instantly goes down. (No actual backup was attempted, I merely accessed the menu.) MySQL stops and the db_user gets dropped from the config file.

Host says they cannot recreate the error on their side, but were on the phone with me when it repeatedly happened.

What on earth is causing this? The host techs said that as I clicked the backup icon, the memory (2Gb) maxed out, too.

The user had originally been randomly dropped before I came on board and checked out CPanel and hit the backup button...and no one can figure out why it randomly occurred; but this is compounding the problem.

Our site is using vBulletin 3.6x, running on an Apache VPN.

Thank you for any ideas you have!

Carol

2. thewebhosting

thewebhosting Well-Known Member

Is there any error message are you receiving while taking backup of your site?

3. Csel

Csel Registered

No, no error message came up at CPanel. And no backup was started, or even selected. The CPanel icon merely brings up the menu of databases to select for backup. That's as far as I get and the site goes down, and the db user gets dropped.

This happened twice before, and host techs assumed there had been an intrusion. I changed passwords, and checked logs...no one else had been logged into CP. So yesterday, I kept another tab open to check the site. As I entered each area of CP, the site was fine until I clicked the backup icon. It instantly took the site down.

Host techs saw the db go down as we were trying to figure it out, but it only happens from the remote login to CPanel...they cannot recreate it. I'm guessing that's because they are logged into root.

Could this have something to do with record locking? Would that affect the connected db even before the backup process is selected? Not being familiar with CP, I would assume that the scripting would automatically lock records when the backup process is actually called up...is that correct? (Apache does require locks to be on before backup begins, correct?)

4. madaboutlinux

madaboutlinux Well-Known Member

It shouldn't cause too much of a issue let whatever the size of your account is. Yes, it may increase a bit of server load if the account size is too high but it shouldn't drop the website and makes everything inaccessible. Your hosting provider are the best people to figure out the issue by checking the backup logs, cPanel logs and looking at the backup process when it starts.

You cannot do anything to solve the issue other than changing the hosting provider.

5. Csel

Csel Registered

I just logged into CPanel, clicked on MySQLDatabases (per host's instrux to copy config)...and the site went down.

Config.php changed the information as follows:
    $config['Database']['dbname'] = 'mysite_boards';
    $config['MasterServer']['username'] = 'mysite_user';
    $config['MasterServer']['password'] = 'passwordgood99';

to

$config['Database']['dbname'] = 'mysite_boards';
    $config['MasterServer']['username'] = 'mysite';
    $config['MasterServer']['password'] = 'PASSW0RDG00d99';
    (with bold chars changing from alpha to numeric

I restored the correct user/pw and it immediately came back up.

What causes the config to change???

#5 Csel, Mar 21, 2010
    Last edited: Mar 21, 2010