Backup causing high loads

Monto

Jul 5, 2017
Australia
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
Hello,
My server uses cpanel 64. When cpanel backups run load levels rise and websites become unresponsive.
My server provider put in a ticket to cpanel a bit more than a month ago.

The problem appears to be that the ionice settings in TweakSettings/System are not respected, at least for the backup. So the backup hammers at top priority.

cpanel advised:

I have filed an internal case (CPANEL-13739) regarding this issue. I do not have an ETA as to when a patch for this issue will be released but you can follow our change logs (Change Logs - Change Logs - cPanel Documentation to determine the version of cPanel that this issue has been resolved in.

In the meantime, as a workaround for this issue, I found that you can manually set the ionice value of the running backup process with a command similar to the following:

=====
ionice -n $IONICE_VALUE -p $PID
=====

where $IONICE_VALUE is an integer between 0-7 and $PID is the process ID of the running backup.
-----------------------------

This may work, but then it no longer an unattended backup.

I have been watching the change logs but case 13739 hasn't got a mention, and the problem persists.

Is there any ETA on this case?

cPanelKenneth

cPanel Development
Staff member
Apr 7, 2006
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
Hi,

CPANEL-13739 was a duplicate of CPANEL-13196, which is fixed in cPanel & WHM version 66. That version is available in our EDGE tier and will make its way to the CURRENT tier shortly.