The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Backup creating unwanted files

Discussion in 'Data Protection' started by soundguy, Jan 9, 2009.

1. soundguy

soundguy Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

I just had a hardware failure on an old server (CentOS 4.3 - RELEASE) and had to restore a few hundred accounts by mounting the backup drive on a new server (CentOS 5.1 - RELEASE) and using "restore multiple sites". Everything went smoothly except that I started getting calls from clients complaining that their mail and ftp worked but the site was showing a blank page. As it turns out, the restore mechanism had decided that every public_html directory must contain an index.html and if it didn't exist, it was created. That means all sites using a .php, .shtml, .pl, .cgi, as an index page stopped working because by default, .htm and .html have a higher priority.

I'd certainly like to know which rocket surgeon at cPanel thought that this insane behavior was a good idea. :)

2. soundguy

soundguy Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

Upon further examination of the situation, it seems as though the restore routines are jamming the server's default skeleton files into restored sites. I don't ever recall that happening with any of the hundreds of other restorations I've done over the years.