Please whitelist cPanel in your adblocker so that you’re able to see our version release promotions, thanks!

The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!

Backup data and user account

Discussion in 'Data Protection' started by Pitkud, May 9, 2019.

Tags:
  1. Pitkud

Pitkud Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hi,

I am new to cPanel and have some questions about data backup and user accounts, currently my cPanel runs on CentOS in VM.

1. Right now my /home is already 50%, and i do weekly compressed backup for the accounts and system files and transfer the backup to another server that acts as a storage.
    As far as i know in the backup process, before the backup file transferred to the storage, the system compresses the file at /home/backup and then transfer the compressed file.
    And what worries me if the capacity at /home reaches 70% or 80% then i can not do the compressed backup since i don't have the sufficient space.

I look in to the forum and see this tutorial posted to mount additional partition for backup :
    Tutorial - Preparing a local disk or partition for backups

Is this tutorial still the correct way to add more partition in my cPanel ? currently i'm using WHM v.78.021.

2. If i'm running out of space in my /home, or let's say i'm reaching 80% of /home capacity and i want to use extra disks or partition, can i use above tutorial to add additional partition to act as /home2 so newly accounts can be stored in the new /home2 partition ?
    Does the /home2 will create symbolic link to the accounts that exist in /home so if there is no space available in /home, new email for the accounts can be stored in /home2

2. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Technical Support Community Manager Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    Hello @Pitkud,

Yes, this guide is still accurate. Keep in mind you will need to purchase the additional drive or storage space from your provider before starting the steps in this guide.

By default all directories matching the "Home Directory Prefix" (e.g. /home2 is automatically detected with the default setting of "home") are checked for available disk space and the directory with the most free space will be used when new accounts are created.

However, there's no mechanism to automatically move an existing account to /home2 when it reaches a specific disk space capacity percentage. Once /home2 is setup, you must use WHM >> Rearrange An Account to move existing accounts to the new partition.

Let me know if this helps.

Thank you.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Pitkud

Pitkud Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hi Michael,

Understand and thank you for point 1 explanation, although for point number 2 i still need to seek more details..
    for example :
    - let's say i have new file system partition mount as /accounts and i can use it to store temporary compressed backup files.
    - when my default /home is running out of capacity (ie 90%), can i mount the /accounts to be the expansion of /home by adding accounts at Home Directory Prefix in Basic WHM setup ?

What i'm trying to prepare is if i have acme account at /home and i need to expand the capacity due to new users and mailbox quota all i need is add the new file system partition and if it is possible to put new users mailbox in the new partition and move particular users that is using much space.

Can you point me to the right direction ?

4. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Technical Support Community Manager Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    Hello @Pitkud,

There's no cPanel & WHM feature for adding a new mount/partition as an expansion of an existing mount/partition (e.g. /home). Instead, you'd have to manually move existing accounts over to the new partition using WHM >> Rearrange An Account.

I recommend opening a feature request if this is functionality you'd like to see added to cPanel & WHM in the future.

Thank you.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...