The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Backup dilemma

Discussion in 'Data Protection' started by guywalder, Jan 8, 2015.

1. guywalder

guywalder Registered

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello to the forum,

I would like to ask for your advice in a matter that's been occupying me for a very long time.

As for today I use Bluehost to host my sites on a VPS account. Up until today I was using a service called Backup pro which was a payed service that allowed me to manage my backups more precisely. This service was removed from VPS account as it caused some issues.

The mail reason I wanted to work with Backup pro was the ability to restore sub domains. I have only one account which is the main account. Under this account I have got ALL of my sites installed as sub domains with add on domain pointing to them. This architecture puts me in a difficult position as I wouldn't like to restore my entire account (including all sub domains) just to restore one site.

After checking my WHM, I could see that as for today I've got backup legacy enabled with daily, weekly and monthly backups. When I enter the legacy restoration I can see my one account without any other options to restore "surgically".

What are my options here? Do I have the option to restore just a particular sub domain without restoring the entire account? Do I actually need to setup an account for each and every site I'm hosting and managing for this restoration function to work?

Thanks in advance for any given help.

Guy.

2. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello :)

It's not possible to restore subdomain content only unless you manually extract the backup archive and then manually replace the contents of the subdomains. I recommend creating separate accounts for each subdomain so you can more easily restore the contents when necessary.

Thank you.

3. guywalder

guywalder Registered

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hi Michael,

Thank you for your kind replay.
    What do you think about this solution?

Guy.

4. cPanelMichael

Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
  5. guywalder

guywalder Registered

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    So sorry, I didn't include the link:
    /http://www.gk-root.com/GK-Apps/Restore-Manager/

6. cPanelMichael

Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    I don't see any listed features that reference restoring individual subdomains, but feel free to consult with the developer of that application to see if it's an included feature.

Thank you.

7. arjanvr

arjanvr Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    If you create your subdomain accounts in WHM instead of cPanel, you can restore them with 2 clicks. This is what I advise my reseller account holders.

8. guywalder

guywalder Registered

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    They do have an option to restore specific folders and files. In addition they support restoration of specific data bases, so basically if I restore the folder of the sub domain and the db as well that would technically count as sub domain restoration feature, no?

arjanvr, creating the sub domains in WHM will require recreation of the whole structure or can I just import or pull the sub-domains from the Cpanel?

Thank you both in advance for your kind help.

9. cPanelMichael

Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    You could restore the specific content associated with the subdomain, but keep in mind that you would still need to create it in cPanel if it does not exist.

Thank you.