The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

backup directly to a remote server

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by dbrock, Mar 15, 2005.

1. dbrock

dbrock Registered

I know cpanel has the built in remote backup feature which tars and FTPs the account over, however because of bandwidth restrictions, I'm reconsidering that method. Right now I can only allow a backup every 5 days to stay within my limits(10 servers send backups to the one remote storage server).

I was wondering if it were possible to rsync only the updated files over to the remote backup server. I was told that first rysnc would have to check all the files and then create the backup locally. The is definitely not what I'm looking for because none of my machines have backup drives. I also have no intention in adding backup drives to each of these servers because that would almost defeat the purpose of having the remote backup server.

I'm doubtful if there currently is a way to do this, because cpanel stores the client's files all over the place. Not to mention the main configs on the machines would also have to be copied over?

Any help is appreciated!

Dan :)

2. kgordon

kgordon Active Member

If you have root access to the backup server your best option would be to enable NFS(network file server) and then mount it to each of the servers to be backed up. Tell cPanel to do an incremental backup and only do it weekly/monthly. Or specify a daily backup for say sundays only.

Kevin