The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Backup domain A restore to domain B... PLEASE HELP

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Larsinthepeg, Jan 10, 2012.

1. Larsinthepeg

Larsinthepeg Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Website Owner
    I had an old domain mdls.ca I backed up the website and now would like to restore it under my original domain larrystorey.com

It seems to be a simple request but my provider is not helpful in guiding me through the process. He says the restore site has to have the same user name as the domain name larrystorey (or Larrysto?). I renamed the file name from backup-9.21.2011_19-44-53_mdls to 9.21.2011_19-44-53_larrysto but it does not work? My old site seems to stay.

Can anyone please please help me? I can only think the thing I need to do is rename every file that has Mdls in it to Larrysto? It seems like this would be a normal thing to do and not as difficult as it seems to be.

Thank you for any light you can shed on my problem.

Larry

2. Infopro

Infopro cPanel Sr. Product Evangelist
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    It might be easier if we knew what you needed to restore. For example if it was just a simple website with a few HTML pages and no email accounts, you could open that backup and grab the files you need to restore the old site on the new account. On the other hand, if its a MySQL database driven site with 300 email accounts things could get a bit more complicated.

3. Larsinthepeg

Larsinthepeg Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Website Owner
    It is very similar to larrystorey.com, same graphics, just a little cleaned up and more text. I believe it is in Drupal. I have about 5 emails. I don't know the difference between SQL database and a regular site? I should mention that the backed up website came was hosted on a different site than where I am trying to restore it to.

Thanks for replying.

4. Infopro

Infopro cPanel Sr. Product Evangelist
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    Sadly, this is something your host could help you with easy enough I think, too bad he's unwilling to help. It's not really a cPanel problem either, but I'd like to try and help if I can. If this is a Drupal site it uses a database.

So, you're hoping to remove the current larrystorey website and replace it with the old website, is that right?

5. Hostech

Hostech Registered

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    It's better way you can take backup of your old site at your end and delete your old site account and create new account and restore your new site backup.

Hope it's really work out for you .

6. Larsinthepeg

Larsinthepeg Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Website Owner
    They are telling me the site I want to restore (Mdls.ca) has to have the same user name as the site I want it uploaded to (larrystorey.com). I did rename it but it still did not work? Funny thing is they kept saying they did it but the old website still stayed up? I thought if they did restore it and it was corrupt nothing would be there. They seem rather short and not helpful.

7. Larsinthepeg

Larsinthepeg Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Website Owner
    I was a business partner with a friend ( are his initials ls are mine, thus Mdls.ca), we took my website and did some upgrades to it and it was running at Mdls.ca. We dissolved the business but I maintained control of the website. I took a backup of the site and am hoping to put it up at my site larrystorey.com. The website (Mdls.ca) looks identical except for the upgrades (pictures, text editing, and cleaned it up a bit) as the larrystorey.com site. I believe it was created in Drupal. I would have to delete any emails that were in the backup and add the email addresses I use now (mail@larrystorey.com and a few others).

The hosting company says the backup has to be the same name as my site (larrystorey.com). I tried renaming it but every time they say they restored it my old website is still there.

I hope I am giving enough information and not being to confusing. I really really appreciate your help. Thanks for any help you can offer it is really appreciated.

Larry

8. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello :)

Renaming the backup file itself will not change the restored username of the account. You should restore the account from backup, and then have your hosting provider change the username and domain name via:

"WHM >> Account Functions >> Modify an Account"

Thank you.

9. Larsinthepeg

Larsinthepeg Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Website Owner
    Thanks for your help everyone, much appreciated. I have been told I have to install Drupal on my server where the site will be hosted before it will work?

I don't know If I am allowed to ask this but is anyone able to help me out for a fee? I am fairly competent on computers but to be honest it might be cheaper and a better use of my time if I get someone who can whip this off.

I understand why webhosts don't want to spend to much time on helping me as I am paying for hosting not support.

Thanks again,

Larry

10. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator