The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Backup entire server

Discussion in 'Data Protection' started by tsediting, Jun 11, 2006.

1. tsediting

tsediting Member

Can anyone advise or provide a step by step guide as to how I can backup my entire server?

Iam running:
    WHM 10.8.0 cPanel 10.8.2-R119
    Trustix i686 - WHM X v3.1.0

I have about 50+ accounts running within WHM and feel it is time I done a complete backup of our server to ensure if the worst was to happen I at least have a copy of everthing.

I dont have a second hardrive and would like if possible to backup all the files and data to my offlice PC via somthing like FTP. is this possible?

I have Putty (I only know a few basic commands, so go easy on me) and WSFTP-PRO, is this all I need to backup all my files or do I require other software?

Thanks

TS

2. rhenderson

rhenderson Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    You could enable cPanel backup via WHM and make a backup there then download the individual tarballs. We backup ours through cPanel backup and leave one copy on the main server and rsync another copy to our backup server. http://www.bqbackup.com has a reasonable plan for backup.You can rsync your backups to them in case the server crashes. We used them until we got our own backup server.

3. nyjimbo

nyjimbo Well-Known Member

Stop kidding yourself and GET ANOTHER HARD DRIVE. I dont know why you can't get one but it's the only way to go. All of our machines have 2nd or 3rd hard drives and we do "mount point" based tar or pax backups every few days. On top of that, because we have the machines local, we swap out the backup drives once a month with alternate backup drives AND also do rsync copies of the tar files twice a month to a second machine that only acts as a backup file holding system. Hard drives WILL fail at some point and when they do if you don't have a recovery plan you are DEAD.

Nothing more terrifying than to wake up one morning with a dead drive and no idea how to recover if you don't have solid backups or a second hard drive.

4. tsediting

tsediting Member

clone

I have a second server in our office, what I want to do is make an absolute clone of my server at the datacentre to my office server. I just want to copy the entire drive contents and need to know what the command lines are to do this

Cheers

5. allpar

allpar Active Member

Have you tried Retrospect? It has Linux, Windows, and Mac clients -- you run the server off the machine you're backing up to.

6. thewebhosting

thewebhosting Well-Known Member

It is advisable to purchase secondary hard drive and mount the backup there. Doing this you can get the backup even after the failure of your main hard drive. Bqbackup is also a good option for remote backups. We have already purchased their services.