The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

backup errors

Discussion in 'Data Protection' started by haxxor23, Jan 25, 2009.

1. haxxor23

haxxor23 Member

just a couple of days ago, cpbackup stalled on one account on my vps, the error log shows errors like this:

Copying homedir..../bin/gtar: public_html/advertisement/5319.jpg: Cannot open: Permission denied
    /bin/gtar: public_html/advertisement/5153.jpg: Cannot open: Permission denied
    /bin/gtar: public_html/advertisement/5191.jpg: Cannot open: Permission denied
    /bin/gtar: public_html/advertisement/5271.jpg: Cannot open: Permission denied
    /bin/gtar: public_html/advertisement/2000.gif: Cannot open: Permission denied
    /bin/gtar: public_html/advertisement/1031.jpg: Cannot open: Permission denied
    /bin/gtar: public_html/advertisement/1001.jpg: Cannot open: Permission denied
    /bin/gtar: public_html/advertisement/az.jpg: Cannot open: Permission denied
    /bin/gtar: public_html/advertisement/27.jpg: Cannot open: Permission denied
    /bin/gtar: public_html/advertisement/5011.jpg: Cannot open: Permission denied
    /bin/gtar: public_html/advertisement/32.jpg: Cannot open: Permission denied
    /bin/gtar: public_html/advertisement/1006.gif: Cannot open: Permission denied

this never happened before, whats causing this and whats the fix? the files in question are old files, so were being backed up properly before with no errors.

2. sebby

sebby Well-Known Member

Yep, same here... Although the warnings started with R-33609, I think that these files were never backed up since 11.24.4 (i.e. WHM Accelerated)...

Still waiting for cPanel input on this issue .

Did you check the ownership/permissions on these files?

3. cPanelNick

cPanelNick Administrator
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    Check the ownership of those files. Make sure they are owned by the user that is running the backup

4. haxxor23

haxxor23 Member

nope, the files are owned by nobody, and have 600 perms.

thing is, these files are 6 months old, and were being backed up properly until a few days ago.

Was there an update that broke cpanel backup?

oh and other accounts that have files with user nobody and 644 perms seem to have no problems.... weird

UPDATE:

nevermind, seems this issue has been happening to everyone, and has to do with file ownership.

I've posted a workaround bash script if anyone needs it:

http://forums.cpanel.net/showpost.php?p=471905&postcount=9

#4 haxxor23, Jan 26, 2009
    Last edited: Jan 26, 2009
  5. Infopro

Infopro cPanel Sr. Product Evangelist
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:

Good thing you aren't worried about quotas either. Files owned by nobody do not count against the users account usage, I don't believe. ;)

SuPHP would help there.

6. haxxor23

haxxor23 Member

True, but I also heard, and please correct me if I'm wrong, that SuPHP uses up a lot of resources, and creates unnecessary problems for no apparent gains ....

please give me your experiences on the merits of using SuPHP .... i"m sure a lot of people would appreciate the feedback ....

7. Infopro

Infopro cPanel Sr. Product Evangelist
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    There's enough feedback on this forum already on this topic that I'm sure you'll find interesting. Search for SuPHP and check out a few posts if you haven't yet.

Not in my experience. It alleviated several problems including files owned by nobody as one example. I see no additional resource usage to be concerned about, nor any speed issues.

Recommended.