The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Backup Exchange

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussions' started by doms, Dec 8, 2010.

1. doms

doms Registered

Hi all,
    I've read a fair few posts on the cPanel Forums regarding this but just wanted to double check that I’m on the right track regarding setting up an account.
    Currently I have two MX records (two IPs, second being a backup/fall-over on another lease line) that point to an off-site MS Exchange Server -
    Code:
    mail.bob.com > A > 11.22.33.44 (Priority set to 0)
    mail2.bob.com > A > 55.66.77.88 (Priority set to 10)

Am I right in thinking that to set the host (Exim I believe?) up as a Backup Exchange, I would add another MX record (+ DNS) that pointed back to the host domain and set it to a higher priority?
    IE -
    Code:
    mail3.bob.com > CNAME > bob.com (Priority set to 20)

Are the priorities, 0, 10, 20, correct? As I have read of a few people using higher priorities when forward mail to external exchanges.

In the case that the exchange server can't be reached on either of the two IPs, does the host simply queue the mail until the exchange server can be reached or does the mail get stored on the host (ie: in the accounts default mailbox)? If it is the former, can the mail be read whilst it's queued (webmail for example)? If it's the latter and the mail is stored, will the mail get pushed to the exchange server when it can be reached on either of the IPs?

Cheers for any help :)

2. fearmydesign

fearmydesign Well-Known Member

Hi, did you ever figure this out? I am also doing something similar... my 1st MX record is set to priority 0 which is the highest, and my second (which points to an exchange server) is set to priority 10

I just want to make sure that this is an effective way of doing this... we just want to use exchange for a few email addresses just to be able to sync iPhone calendars with it.

Thanks

3. doms

doms Registered

fearmydesign, i never managed to get round to implementing this as i couldn't determine how the host acts in the event that Exchange server couldn't be reached. Touch wood the Exchange server hasn't had any issues and neither lease lines have failed.
    In your case i wouldn't have thought you needed to add the exchange server to your MX records, as it doesn't sound like you'll be using it for email. I'd imagine simply setting up the required mailboxes under Exchange and pointing the iPhone's to the Exchange server's IP address (or you could setup a DNS record to point to the IP) would be sufficient for syncing calendars (can't say i've tried this though).