bethimc

Nov 29, 2016
Saratoga Springs, NY
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
Good morning,

For about 10 days, since 86.0.19 installed (now at 86.0.21), we have been having issues with backups. Only 2 have been successful during that time frame. The only failure line in the backup log is

Failed to perform full backup of /var/cpanel/ to /backup/cpbackup/daily/dirs/_var_cpanel.tar.gz

After that line, the log indicates it is continuing the backup process and creating backups of all the accounts. We keep 2 days on server and the rest go to Amazon S3, with files expiring after 30 days. The backup transport log says files are being sent.

However, there are no backup files on the server and no backups in Amazon S3.

I have tried disabling backups and and then re-enabling them (worked last time I had an issue). The Amazon S3 connection is validated. The backup configuration is the same as my other 3 servers, which are all functioning normally. The difference between this server and the others is CentOS. This server is CentOS 7.8 and the others are CentOS 6.10 (yes, we are migrating those this summer).

Any suggestions for anywhere else to look?

Beth

ffeingol

PartnerNOC
Nov 9, 2001
cPanel Access Level
DataCenter Provider
Backup errors per-se would not be there. I was thinking more of a read/write type error. Depending on your servers config it would be something like sda# (but it totally depends on the device names for your partitions).

bethimc

Nov 29, 2016
Saratoga Springs, NY
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
Nothing like that. The only error I see is in the cpbackup log that said it could not back up _var_cpanel.tar.gz.

I went back in to compare timestamps between the cpbackup log and the messages log. In the cpbackup log, I also found this, just above the previous failure:
[cpbackup] (XID abkg5f) “/usr/bin/gtar” reported error code “1” when it ended: at /usr/local/cpanel/scripts/cpbackup line 1144.

Nothing at the same time in messages, though.

bethimc

Nov 29, 2016
Saratoga Springs, NY
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
Failed again overnight with the same error message in the log. But I found something new when digging around. There is now a cpbackup directory inside my /backup directory. Normally, backups are stored in their day folder (i.e. /backup/2020-05-26 should have been yesterday's). Now, in the /backup/cpbackup folder there are daily, weekly, and monthly directories. All with current backups. These backups are not being sent to Amazon S3 - only the ones in the date-named folders get sent. Based on the date in the monthly folder, I know when this started (May 14), I just don't know why.

I have tried disabling backups and then re-enabling them.

Any more suggestions?

Beth