The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Backup folder on the /opt partition

Discussion in 'Data Protection' started by Ver17, May 10, 2005.

1. Ver17

Ver17 Active Member

Jun 9, 2004
    I have been reading a lot about where to put the cPanel “/backup” folder. Most seem to like putting it in the /home partition but for a number of reasons this does not work well for my needs.

I have 4 SCSI drives in my server. 1 drive is all the OS and boot partitions. 2 drives have been combined (LVM) and are going to be the /home partition. The last drive is what I want to be the /backup partition. I want the /backup partition on this dedicated drive so I can swap the drive out (for a physical backup) but also to keep it separate from the /home drives in case of physical failure.

Is creating a /opt partition and then putting the /backup folder on this drive ok? I have read that the /opt partition is meant for applications which require it, but cPanel does not. Is there any reason not to use this partition? Any downfalls, or is it really only a name?
  2. pshepperd

pshepperd Well-Known Member

Feb 12, 2005
    You could mount that drive simply as /backup if you would like or you could mount it under /opt /backup it really is just a name like you say, once its configured to mount at boot your good to go. I wouldn't mount it simply as /opt though, just because you might not always want it there. Of course you can always umount and re mount it if you want some where else.

If we are talking about a drive, we are really talking about /dev/sdX which can be set to mount wherever you want.

is that drive mounted now as anything? Or is it just there, probably as /dev/sdb1 or something of that nature(depends on the controller, and how many drives attached)
    #2 pshepperd, May 10, 2005
    Last edited: May 10, 2005