The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Backup Help - Daily Backups not working correctly

Discussion in 'Data Protection' started by SNET1, Sep 5, 2010.

1. SNET1

SNET1 Member

Hello, I hope someone can help me out with this....

I have an external FTP server that I would like my cPanel server to back up all cPanel accounts to on a daily and monthly basis, I have attached an image of my current settings to this post (FTP login details have been removed) incase anyone wants to review my current settings.

Basically cPanel is following this format for saving....

Daily > Account 1
    > Account 2

Monthly > Account 1
    > Account 2

The problem with this is that the next day the past daily backup is deleted and overwritten with the current daily backup.

I would like it to do it in this format if possible...

Daily > 05092010 > Account 1
    > Account 2

> 06092010 > Account 1
    > Account 2

Monthly > September > Account 1
    > Account2

Does anyone know if this is just a simple problem with my current settings or if cPanel is not capable of doing this :confused:

Attached Files:

#1 SNET1, Sep 5, 2010
    Last edited: Sep 5, 2010
  2. cPanelDon

cPanelDon cPanel Quality Assurance Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    Twitter:
    cPanel/WHM is capable of storing account backups on a remote FTP server. I would verify to ensure the accuracy of the applicable FTP Remote Host address, FTP Backup User (FTP login username), and FTP Backup Password (FTP login password).

I recommend inspecting the cPanel backup logs to determine if there are any errors or issues that may be interfering with the automated cPanel backup processes. You may find the backup logs stored in the following directory path:
    Code:
    /usr/local/cpanel/logs/cpbackup/
    For additional reference I may also suggest reviewing our available documentation for the Configure Backup page in WebHost Manager (WHM): Configure Backup

3. cPanelDon

Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    Twitter:
    I may have misunderstood the intended question. It is correct that cPanel will store a single copy of an account backup in each directory, one for daily, one for weekly, and one for monthly.

At the present time cPanel does not use a dated subdirectory within the daily, weekly, and monthly, backup directories; however, through customization it is possible to achieve. I recommend searching the following forums area for ideas: cPanel and WHM Data Protection - cPanel Forums

4. SNET1

SNET1 Member

Thank you for your feedback, I have reviewed your documentation and forum links and have successfully managed to set this up.

Thank You.

5. SNET1

SNET1 Member

Hello, it seems the documentation I was reading was not specifically what I wanted (dated sub directories within Daily and Monthly) and after reading through the forums for the last hour frustratingly I have not been able to find any other posts or documentation to set this up.

Surely someone must have something like this setup? and I'm quite surprised this is not already a feature within cPanel itself - Does anyone have the required code or a link to such code for this functionally?

6. cPanelDon

Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    Twitter:
    I believe this would make for an excellent feature request; while I do not see an existing request that matches exactly I did find the following feature request that appears vaguely similar: Weekly backups up to 7 times a week. Daily backups at least 7 times a week. - cPanel Forums

If you believe the aforementioned thread may not match close enough, I would consider submitting a new feature request asking for the ability to have automated cPanel backups saved in a dated sub-directory within the daily, weekly, and monthly, backup directories, where there would be a history of multiple unique backups available to restore from for each backup interval: Feature Requests for cPanel and WHM - cPanel Forums

Alternatively, would you like us to relocate this thread into the Feature Requests sub-forum and revise the title to convert it into your new feature request?

7. cPanelDon

Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    Twitter:
  8. brianoz

brianoz Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Indeed someone has. Check out postcpbackup at www.whmscripts.net and you'll see how we solved it. We don't do dated subdirectories though, we find it easier to rename the backup directories.

You'll also find tools there that do stuff such as single-command file restore, makes the backups actually usable. You can specify how many copies you want to rotate of the daily, weekly and monthly backups and the rotation is done by the postcpbackup script which is called at the end of a successful backup.

While cPanel may solve this in time, we have something now that works well on multiple servers and has been in use for years, and has been used by many others over the time we've been sharing it (downloaded by hundreds). You'll see pingbacks to the forums.cpanel.net posts on the site.

Seasons greetings to all :)