The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Backup Information

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Court, Jun 3, 2004.

1. Court

Court Registered

I have a few questions about backing up a site with the cPanel backup feature.

First off, does the cPanel Full Backup option include EVERYTHING (ie email accounts/inboxes, script installations, forums, databases, ftp accounts, etc)?

Second, when I download a backup file and then try to restore it (browsing for it, then clicking upload), the page loads for awhile and then goes to a blank white page with an up arrow image that says "Restoring files." At this point, the page doesn't seem to do anything. I'm obviously not doing something right because the site is not being restored at all.

Third, can I backup a website and then restore the backup on another host for a different domain name?

2. kris1351

kris1351 Well-Known Member

It should backup everything in your site including mail, cpanel and DB configs.

The restore process can look like it is stalled as it is unzipping and untarring the file you are restoring. I know some of our users have 2+ gb sites so that can take some time.

If your new host is running Cpanel they should be able to restore your site for you on the new server. It would reinstall as the same domain name you had before.

3. Doctor_WHO

Doctor_WHO Registered

I have come across the same issue as Court.
    I am a reseller, and moving from one host to another. I am trying to move my users accounts to the new host.

I did a "Generate/Download a Full Backup" and then Restore a Home Backup on the new host using the same domain name and also using the same version of CPanel.

I got the same message as Court. While browsing the directory of the new host (the place I did the restore) there is a folder with the name and contents of the restore file I uploaded on the same tree level as public_html; public_ftp; etc... Almost as if CPanel did not know what to do with the file (More likely I don't).

I am now attempting to make a "Download a home directory Backup" restoration. I have a feeling it makes a difference. Since the restore does say "Restore a HOME backup". But there are less files in the HOME backup than in the Full Backup.

I will post my results.

4. Doctor_WHO

Doctor_WHO Registered

From Thread http://forums.cpanel.net/showthread.php?s=&threadid=21334&highlight=backup

I have done the restore on a test account and it works fine so far. I am now scouring to check wether or not the mail and filters have restored also.

5. Doctor_WHO

Doctor_WHO Registered

Worked fine for me, and all the mail was transferred. I did not have SQL databases in this client, so I dont know if that works yet or not.

Will see with the next transfer....

EDIT: All I had to do was upload the Home Backup and the Database... AND ADD THE DB USERS AGAIN.. and all was well. All the email was retained, everything seems to be there.

Ill post back if a client gripes about something - no news is good news.

#5 Doctor_WHO, Jun 5, 2004
    Last edited: Jun 6, 2004
  6. Court

Court Registered

Thanks for the info guys. I will try what Doctor Who did tonight.

7. kartik

kartik Registered

Hello,

Can someone tell me what is the difference between a "Full Back Up " and a "Home Directory" backup?

If I am just going to make a "Home Directory" back up do I need to also backup the databases seperately?

-kartik

8. Doctor_WHO

Doctor_WHO Registered

As far as I can tell, Full Backups are for peeps that have physical access to the server .

Home backups are of the user home directory and have everything necessary to do a restore.

I am a reseller and have only been able to do home backups and restore them successfully when moving about 6 accounts from one host to another.

I did the home backup restore first, and then the database. All but one restored without a glitch. Just be sure to keep the same username if moving to a new account/server, otherwise you will have to edit anything that calls a database, or reffers to /home/user/...

9. kartik

kartik Registered

Thank you for the reply.

-Kartik

10. Roy@ENHOST

Roy@ENHOST Well-Known Member

I think CPanel should have a Full backup so resellers can restore their customer's full account. This way we can make sure everything, including emails and preferences, is restored.

11. elbertlo

elbertlo Member

According to the cPanel documentation, the full backup is for the end user as well. It basically backs up the whole thing, including mail settings and mysql dbs. However, there is a bug on certain cpanel 9.0 versions that will do a full backup but the dbs will be empty. I believe this has been fixed on cpanel 9 build 30.

12. Roy@ENHOST

Roy@ENHOST Well-Known Member

Thanks for that information but I was actually looking for a trird party backup software for backing up my whole server so I can reimage whenever calamity strikes.

13. faqall

faqall Active Member

i uploaded the backup already and the mysql databases are empty (or appear to be)!!! is there anyway to recover/fix this? as i do not have access to the backups anymore!