The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

"backup" interferes with "cpbackup"

Discussion in 'Data Protection' started by kabatak, Apr 14, 2015.

1. kabatak

kabatak Well-Known Member

I run backup (every Saturday) and cpbackup (every Wednesday) and I know they don't interfere with each other but I get this email notification every Wednesday even if backup is not suppose to run yet:

"The backup was not able to be completed because it timed out waiting for /scripts/cpbackup to finish"

It appears to me that the daily cron of backup is causing this message.

2. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello,

This is normal, as only one backup script can run at a time. You would notice the following message if you tried to run the new backup script when the legacy script is running:

Code:
    [2015-04-15 13:34:50 -0500] warn [backup] The other backup type is running as evidenced by the existence of:  /var/cpanel/backuprunning
    [2015-04-15 13:34:50 -0500] info [backup] backup is waiting for the other backup to complete
    You can modify the cron job for the new backup script so it does not run on Wednesdays (it runs every night by default even if it does not generate backups every night).

Thank you.

3. kabatak

This is indeed a workaround but I think a better solution is: the backup will not execute at all since it's stated in the setting to only run on Saturday. So if Cron runs, it should check if it's actually Saturday first before it even attempts to send the email notification about the conflict.

4. cPanelMichael

Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    It's by design the backup script runs every night and checks to see if backups are required for that date. You are welcome to submit a feature request for a change in this behavior via:

Submit A Feature Request

Thank you.

5. kabatak

Hmm, I think this is more of a bug than a feature change. I understand that it currently runs every night but the issue on my case scenario is it should not send a notification because backup wasn't suppose to run anyway on that day regardless if cpbackup was running alongside or not.

6. cPanelMichael

Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    The current behavior is by design and thus a feature request is required to see a change in the product. Backups are supposed to run every day by default, even if account backups are not generated. The script must run to determine if backups are required for the day.That being said, you can update the cron job so that it does not run on particular days.

Thank you.