The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Backup is Empty /backup/cpbackup/daily/*** exists, please remove it and try again

Discussion in 'Data Protection' started by chazzle, Oct 10, 2008.

1. chazzle

chazzle Active Member

I think I may have stumbled on the reason for backups not generating correctly and sending admins the error message that /backup/cpbackup/daily/**** exists, please remove it and try again. This has plagued me for a few days and I think I may have found a resolution but this is definetly a problem and needs to be addressed.

After a little research I did find that in the cpbackup directory for daily/weekly/monthly folders that the user accounts in question had backup tars listed but were empty. user.tar.gz 0K . cPanel also places directories inside of the backup directories that contain all of the files that are to be backed up and you will see that it has the usename for the directory. These folders will remain until deleted...

So in a nutshell here is what I have found...

If a hosting client generates a Full backup via cpanel and the Backup Destination is set to Home Directory, then the backup is created as usual and you would think that all is well. This is true and Not true.. If the customer deletes the backup after he/she downloads to their local machine then all is well and backups will continue on a daily/weekly/monthly basis.

If the backup is left on the server in the users home directory this is when the backups for that user stop generating. Backups will not be generated on a daily basis and the admin will recieve the error message from the daily backup cron that /backup/cpbackup/daily/**** exists, please remove it and try again. The reason is because there is a backup in the users Home Directory and cPanel will not overide the users backup.

I know that new hosting customers go into cpanel and just click through everything that is available to get familiar with cpanel, but this is a huge problem if they need their account restored to the previous day and after they go through the restore process they find out that their account has been rolled back 2 months instead of 1 day.. Like I found out-- the HARD WAY..

Could someone at cPanel verify that this is what is happening? And how can this be resolved without turning off backups via the user cPanel.

Thanks all I hope this helps someone in the future... :)

2. mlsred

mlsred Member

Hi

I am having the exact same problem. When I try to get WHM to run daily backups I get.

/home/cpbackuptmp/cpbackup/daily/xxxxxx exists, please remove it and try again

I have checked the Home Directory and deleted the backup that was there which was created using Cpanel backup but I still get the message and a 0k file is FTP'd to my backup server.

Weekly and Monthly backups work OK.

Can anyone help with this as I would ideally like to run daily backups from WHM.

Cheers
    M

3. chazzle

chazzle Active Member

Try this as it has worked for me..
    Go to /home/cpbackuptmp/cpbackup/daily/xxxxx and you will see that there is a file called xxxxx.tar.gz .This would be your empty file. Delete this file. Also there should be a folder in the same directory called xxxxx. Delete this folder also.
    Repeat the same steps for weekly and monthly.
    Run /scripts/cpbackup --force and the backup should be created without problem.. Or you can wait for your nightly cron to run and hope all goes well.. I would run the script and make sure now..

Hope this helps and I would still like to see someone from cPanel reply to this.

4. mlsred

mlsred Member

Thanks that worked :)