The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Backup Issue on new server

Discussion in 'Data Protection' started by PCZero, Jan 20, 2015.

1. PCZero

PCZero Well-Known Member

I have a server that has been in operation for some time and remote FTP backups work fine. I setup a destination on a new box EXACTLY like the settings on the older box. No matter what I do the validation fails. I go to command line and I can successfully FTP in form the old box BUT on the new box the FTP connect times out. I tried turning off my firewall completely, I opened the ftp server on my remote site to accept connects from all IPs. Neither of these helped any. Any ideas of what it is I am obviously overlooking in getting this backup to work?

2. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello :)

The issue is not related to the backup system itself if manual FTP connections also fail. Have you verified the FTP server on the remote location is running correctly? Are you able to connect to it from locations other than your server?

Thank you.

3. PCZero

PCZero Well-Known Member

The FTP is set up correctly. I can connect with the backup system and manually form a different box.

4. cPanelMichael

Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    It's likely a router/firewall issue on the remote FTP server, but feel free to open a support ticket so we can take a closer look. You can post the ticket number here so we can update this thread with the outcome.

Thank you.

5. PCZero

PCZero Well-Known Member

Michael thank you once again for being so patient with me while I have a major DFU moment. It did turn out to be my modem/router. The odd thing is there was no forwarding set up and the old box was getting through just fine. I added a forward from 0.0.0.0: 21 to the correct internal ip:21 and it works just fine. Then in the FireZilla server I block all IPs and set up exceptions for the main IPs of the two servers. IOW (God I hope I am right in saying this) I do it correctly!

I did notice a oddity during the back up process though. maybe you can shed some light on this. On the new box as I watch the .gz files being created, the file _var_cpanel.tar.gz file size is 133,646,636 on the new box. On the old box it is being generated as I type and it is already up to a file size of 571,850,752. Can you give me an idea of why this is the case or maybe send me to a page taht will explain it?

6. cPanelMichael

Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    I am happy to see you were able to address the initial issue. As far as system backups, you may find this document helps:

System Backups

When you extract this archive on each server, where do you see the major difference in disk space usage?

Thank you.