The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Backup Issues

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by itsnotlevel, Jan 25, 2007.

1. itsnotlevel

itsnotlevel Registered

Hey guys, I have searched for discussions about backup in WHM and nothing. What I have is, Ive configured backup in my WHM, and I can go into my seperate drive and the backups are there, but if I click on restore backups, nothing shows up in the WHM control panel. Any ideas?

2. t9clkclnr

t9clkclnr Well-Known Member

backups from WHM look for the tar.gz in /home

when you are trying to perform a restore, you have to move the tar.gz files into the /home directory

I'm not sure if the cpanel backup feature looks at the backup directory/drive, however I think it doesn't.

Move, the file to /home and then use the "username".tar.gz to perform the restore.

Hope this helps.

3. itsnotlevel

itsnotlevel Registered

oops........

I forgot to say that Im using FTP to another HD, and isnt it really kinda backwards to have to transfer files to the proper folder in order to do any restores?

4. t9clkclnr

yes, no comment... ;)

I agree, seems strange to have to move the file into that directory.

Like I said, I'm not sure how it works from cpanel. It may pull directly from the backup directory but I don't enable backeups for clients through cpanel. Too much chance for cpu load.

5. itsnotlevel

itsnotlevel Registered

backup issues....

Ok, my backup is placing the files where I want them, like I said from the beginning. But now I notice that no matter what the configuration, after I backup my files, I check my seperate HD and it has all the files. AND on my original drive, where my WHM is, there is a directory called CPBACKUPTMP, that no matter what it is always there. I can delete it, and then the WHM puts it back up after backup is run. Does it always have to be there? Any ideas?

#5 itsnotlevel, Jan 25, 2007
    Last edited: Jan 25, 2007
  6. t9clkclnr

I think the cpbackuptmp is temporary

This is where it will keep the files in the interim whilst the gzip processes is running.

Then it performs the FTP transfer. If you want to see what happens disable back ups for a day, and see if your cpbackuptmp is being cleared. I bet it is.

If you are performing 1 account backup, it might remain for some time. I've noticed when doing FTP backups to remote HD, the last account remains for some time. I have noticed 1 account in both the daily and weekly folders in the backuptmp folder you refer to.

even though I have run the backups for about 100 accounts nightly

So double check, with other searches on the forum, but i think you can rest assured those temp gzips are being removed.. eventually.