cPanel & WHM Version
v94.0.4

itnext

Registered
Apr 19, 2021
sydney
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
Am configuring WHM Backup to Local and to SFTP location. How do I find logfiles on the backups? Not all accounts are being backed up - I wonder what else is not working...

cPRex

Jurassic Moderator
Staff member
Oct 19, 2014
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
Hey there! Backup logs would be stored at /usr/local/cpanel/logs/cpbackup and /usr/local/cpanel/logs/cpbackup_transporter for the remote destinations, so those would be the best areas to check if you're seeing issues.

The best way to test a backup is to try and restore from it, as that would confirm if all the data is being properly backed up.

itnext

Registered
Apr 19, 2021
sydney
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
Thank you CPRex
Restoring a backup is also destructive in many cases - stats, database changes etc getting over written with older data.
Is there a way to restore backup xyz to a fresh account with new db names/instances?

itnext

Registered
Apr 19, 2021
sydney
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
Additionally is it possible to kick off a full backup that uses the settings applied in Backup Configuration?
I have backups set for weekly but as Im still testing and configuring things Id like to initiate a backup with the applied settings so that I can check it and test.

cPRex

Jurassic Moderator
Staff member
Oct 19, 2014
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
Is there a way to restore backup xyz to a fresh account with new db names/instances?
There is not an automated way to do that work. You could try using the /scripts/restorepkg tool (The restorepkg Script | cPanel & WHM Documentation) with the --newuser flag, although I'd still expect there to be some manual work involved for the type of testing you want to do.

Running this command:

Code:
/usr/local/cpanel/bin/backup --force
will execute the backups with the options configured in WHM.