The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Backup MX and dns server

Discussion in 'Bind / DNS / Nameserver Issues' started by paulhuynh81, Dec 29, 2008.

1. paulhuynh81

paulhuynh81 Registered

I have a single dedicated server running WHM/Cpanel 11

When we have a problem customer woudl loss their email until we get the server fix

I woudl like to fix this problem

Can i get a second server running cpanel and config it to be the backup mx server and backup dns server?

If so is there a script i can get it to do so?

What about new client as i add it to the new server would it automated create a backup mx setting on the backup server?

I know with windows running helm and Merkmail this can be done with easier!!!

Any help woudl be great.

2. jankarlsen

jankarlsen Member

Hi,

For DNS you can use http://www.cpanel.net/products/dnsonly/

This is free and very easy to configure.

For mail this is not so easy, if your sever is down, no email will be deliverd or sendt with it so it only lays in the outbox or in a other queue. Hopefully it will not take you many days to fix the server :) If you just want a secondary mx to store the mail to your mailserver is up again, you can use EasyDNS or perhaps take a look if someone offers this for free.

#2 jankarlsen, Dec 30, 2008
    Last edited: Dec 30, 2008
  3. paulhuynh81

paulhuynh81 Registered

Fail safe

So what can i do if i have access to another Cpanel/whm server running at a different data center?

coudl i get them to run as cluster so all my of service woudl be backup to the remote server incase the first one crash or loss of service?

I dont know much about cpanel / linux sorry for all the stupid question.

4. movielad

movielad Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    On the secondary server, add the domains that you want to receive/collect mail for to /etc/secondarymx.

Ensure that the secondary sever is the next highest priority in DNS for the domain and if the primary server goes down, the secondary will accept mail and will attempt to deliver it to the primary until it's back up.

Regards,

Martyn