The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Backup MX cPanel server with forwarding?

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussions' started by Anypony, Jan 27, 2013.

1. Anypony

Anypony Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    My main domain has been offline (null-routed) due to a DDoS attack for coming up 5 days now, host and hosts ISP both not happy. However this VPS is a mail server and because of this downtime 36k+ emails will bounce back, some will be saved by queuing but considering the amount of downtime, it's a loosing battle.

I need to know the best way to setup a secondary mx record and server so that when the main server comes back users can find their mail in their inbox. (Not for this time obviously, but I know my domain is a target and I need to be more prepared for next time).

What I have thought about so far:

- setup new WHM server on new server (server2)
    - create new user, use account name and domain of server1
    - rsync /etc/localdomains on server1 to /etc/secondarymx on server2
    - point secondary mx record to server2's IP (with lower priority obviously)

What I don't know/understand is:

a) Is there anything else I need to do to get the secondary mx server working? (Perhaps rsyncing the /mail directory of the domain on server1 as well? [if so, hopefully just the directory structure, there is many many GB's of emails in there])

b) How do I get my mail back? When server1 comes back will it automatically forward emails back to the inbox of email accounts? If not, how can I set this up?