The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Backup MX server on DNSONLY cpanel

Discussion in 'Bind / DNS / Nameserver Issues' started by BrooksBridges, Oct 10, 2006.

1. BrooksBridges

BrooksBridges Well-Known Member

Sep 2, 2004
    Hello all!

I've found a few threads about running backup mx on another server, but most of them deal with having 2 full cpanel machines for the setup. What I'm needing to do is set up backup mx (e.g. store-and-forward) on a VPS that has the DNSONLY version of cpanel installed on it.

So far, I've managed to get the dns clustering set up, and exim configured to use /etc/remotedomains that is generated once per hour by a perl script reading in the domain list from /var/named, so that part is covered. What I'm now trying to figure out for the best method to use to get the server to store the mail, then forward it along to the main mail server once it's back in operation.

I'm not sure if this should be a simple remote_smtp entry in the routers section of exim.conf, or if I should be attempting to set up ETRN.

Suggestions/thoughts/flames? :D
  2. nickp666

nickp666 Well-Known Member

Jan 28, 2005
    just setting:

domainlist relay_to_domains = lsearch;/etc/remotedomains should do it.