The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Backup MySQL only

Discussion in 'Data Protection' started by tsiedsma, Nov 10, 2010.

1. tsiedsma

tsiedsma Active Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    Is it possible using cpbackup to only backup the system files and configuration as well as the user and system databases? I use R1Soft CDP Server to backup all files and databases but users cannot restore their own databases from CDP.

Because of this, I want to disable account backups but allow mysql backups and allow my users to restore their database backups from cPanel.

Any thoughts or ideas on this?

2. nicklas

nicklas Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Why not contact R1soft, it seems a missing feature in their software.
    Very bad to pay lot of money and users not being able to restore mysql!

3. tsiedsma

tsiedsma Active Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    It's how it is designed and it's fine, I just thought I could use cPanel to just backup the databases.

4. nicklas

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    You might want to try to disable accounts and enable the per user option for the db

Backup SQL Databases (at least "Per Account" is needed to use the restore feature)

But no idea if this will give you only the database.

#4 nicklas, Nov 21, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 21, 2010
  5. cPanelTristan

cPanelTristan Quality Assurance Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    The WHM > Backup > Configure Backup area does allow you only to backup the databases, but it won't allow you to then only display those databases to users in cPanel and not the other backup options there.

In Configure Backup area, you'd need to select:

Backup Accounts - Disabled
    Backup Configuration Files (not needed for account restoration) - Enabled
    Backup SQL Databases (at least "Per Account" is needed to use the restore feature) - Per Account and Entire MySQL Directory

This should do what you are wanting, since you also asked about configuration files.

6. nicklas

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    He is using an r1cdp server, so I assume he uses FTP connection, in that situation he can only use per account only for the database the whole mysql directory won't work in that scenario, nor the backup for the config files.

7. cPanelTristan

cPanelTristan Quality Assurance Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    I wouldn't make the assumption that FTP is being used simply due to having r1soft, since you can certainly use the /backup folder option to backup on the machine itself given r1soft isn't related to cPanel backups in any way. Additionally, these are questions on how to set up the area and that would mean it likely isn't yet being used at all.

If the MySQL data itself is only being backed up with the configuration files, then this isn't going to take up much space and it's easy to cron an scp to another machine for that data so that it isn't staying on the machine in question. I believe what I've stated is the better way to do this, so you get the full MySQL directory and configuration files, then you have a copy both on the machine (not taking up much space) and scping it daily to another machine to have yet another backup.

If FTP is used, then it's less ideal in this situation without the configuration files that were mentioned and without the full MySQL directory contents.