The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Backup Not Enabled??

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by heymichelle, Jun 1, 2003.

1. heymichelle

heymichelle Well-Known Member

Everything was working in the cpanel before, but now when i want to do a backup its displaying this:

Backup
    cPanel System Backup is not enabled on this machine. Some other type of backup system may be in place, however downloads cannot be fetched using this module.

When I click on the "Download Today's Home Backup"
    it takes me to page thats a;; jibberish typing. I have tried 3 different browsers and the same thing.

What does this mean and how can I correct?

cPanel.net Support Ticket Number:

2. heymichelle

wow, no one can help me??

still no response, I guess no one knows what the problem is.

3. dgbaker

dgbaker Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    This error "cPanel System Backup is not enabled on this machine. Some other type of backup system may be in place, however downloads cannot be fetched using this module."

Means that in WHM the backups are disabled for some reason. I would check there and confirm it.

As for the jibberish? Never seen that one.

4. heymichelle

okay checked

it showed this: Backup Status: marked as disabled.
    I clicked on the enable and it takes me to a page that shows this:
    /backup is not a directory..
    Backup has been disabled to prevent file loss..
    /backup does not exist..

also i meant by jiberrish, was that this is what the next page was showing whenever I tried to do a backup:

pcp03435218pcs.olathe01.ks.comcast.net - heymiche [02/Jun/2003:10:37:06 -0700] "GET /getbackup/backup-heymichelle.net-6-2-2003.tar.gz HTTP/1.1" 200 0 "http://heymichelle.net:2082/frontend/default/backup/index.html" "Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows 98; .NET CLR 1.0.3705; .NET CLR 1.1.4322)" HTTP/1.0 200 OK Connection: close Server: whostmgr/ Content-Type: application/x-tar Content-Encoding: x-gzip ‹B‹Û>ì\ÛvÓȚ涵VÞ¡`f6°7V$ù”˜ÄwÇI¶í@Ó,ÖY*Û"²¤ÖÇûbîx‚™žï¯’|HâØIŒûä‚&‰Uõ×>*_n?øîKÓ ZY×ñµ\*h¥©¯ãõ•J…|¡\À>]/…¬øýQ{ð ‰b3dìAŸ?ŽÕçóö-zþ]êöÀtÜï«BþemVîzáªüËZ1_( ù—ôß

and this just continues on and on.

5. dgbaker

dgbaker Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    Let's deal with the first part.

/backup is not a directory..

This means that on your system there is no directory off of the / on your system called backup. Generally this is the second harddrive on a system.

If you only have one drive you can still set it, but if the drive ever fails you have no backups to recover with.

So, in order to make that error go away, do the following in SSH as root, mkdir /backup

That will create the backup directory, now in WHM you can enable the backups, and when cpanel's upcp runs tonight it will also launch cpbackup.

Now for the jibberish, that could be caused by the fact that there are no ligitimate backups and it is creating a dummy file. (just guessing on that part though).

6. heymichelle

Thank you so much!

Will do the following, hopefully this will fix the problem, because it did work before :)

7. boyforeigner

boyforeigner Well-Known Member

I have 2 server. How can I set the whm to backup the server1 on the server2 and the server2 on the server1?

8. knipper

knipper Well-Known Member

Hmmmm....

I just noticed this as well on a new account I set up.

However, in that users cpanel I created a backup...wiped out the entire site, then restored from the created backup and it worked.

I don't have the jiberish mentioned.

dgbaker...Question. WHM suggests the backup directory be larger than home... however home is the largest directory with space available.

I understand if the drive dies, you won't have a backup... but are there any other disadvantages or potential problems?

9. Aerosmith

Aerosmith Well-Known Member

OK I have this issue as well. I own the server. I have a single drive and understand the limitations on backing up to /backup on the single drive. In the main WHM I have configured the backup and they are indeed being generated on a daily basis. However when I go into cPanel for any one of my resellers or end users I get the same error message as in the lead post for this thread. "cPanel System Backup is not enabled on this machine. Some other type of backup system may be in place, however downloads cannot be fetched using this module." Any suggestions as to what it is that I am screwing up and how to rectify the situation?

Thanks,
    ^A^

10. Website Rob

Website Rob Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    There has been mention (do a search on backup) made here about, using a backup dir. on the same hard drive as the OS & WHM will incorrect displays of Web space used -- apparently will double because space used in the 'home' dir. and the 'backup' are added together. So using a backup on the same hard drive may be detrimental.

As for the msg. itself, I would just ignore it. Once the first backup is done (Full Backups > Generate/Download a Full Backup) a tarred file will be created within the Account Root ( /home/accountID ) dir. Then, the next time you go to the page it will show that backup file:

Full Backups > Generate/Download a Full Backup

Previous Full Backups saved in Home Directory
    backup-6.5.2003_03-58-27_accountID.tar.gz

Generate a Full Backup

Clicking the tarred file will restore everything -- within the file that is.

11. Aerosmith

OK perhaps I neede to explain better. My issue is that the error message "cPanel System Backup is not enabled on this machine. Some other type of backup system may be in place, however downloads cannot be fetched using this module." is displayed to my end users. They can do heir own manual backups and have them show up but the automated back ups I have enabled do not show up for them to download. I would like for them to be able to fetch these backups if hey need to. How do I make this happen?

12. Website Rob

Website Rob Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Don't know the answer to that one. :confused:

I was not aware that WHM even had that option. TMK, doing a Server backup is for the ServerAdmin only. If a Client wants to have a backup for themselves, then they would need to do it themselves. Would take up a lot of un-necessary hard space, if backups were done for each account and made available to them, and account owners did not care about that feature or used it.

13. Aerosmith

Most admins DON'T care about backups until they need one. We are attempting to be proactive on their behalf... :) The way I have read things, as server owner I should be able to set periodic backups for all accounts (wish it was selected) and then if an admin blew something up he would be able to go to backup in his cPanel and select the latest backup that the server did. Is this not correct?

14. dougiamas

dougiamas Member

I agree. This is exactly what I thought would be happening, but I too am seeing the same message on the domain backups page "cPanel System Backup is not enabled on this machine." I'm running the latest stable versions of everything.

Anybody got a clue?

15. Aerosmith

Basically if "cPanel System Backup is not enabled on this machine" how does one go about enabling it?

16. Jeff75

Jeff75 Well-Known Member

Good question! I came here looking for the same answer. I have all the options checked to run backups and they are even being saved in /backup/cpanel each night, but it says "cPanel System Backup is not enabled on this machine. Some other type of backup system may be in place, however downloads cannot be fetched using this module." on the account backup page.

Here is a screen cap of my settings in WHM, which haven't been changed in a few days.

Any ideas why it is saying they are not enabled when they are?

Attached Files:

17. Aerosmith

OK come on now folks... This has to be something that more than a few of us want to know about. Some of the cPanel powers that be have to be around and have the ability to help us! One of you who are better at this than those of us who are lost PLEASE jump in and explain what stupid thing we are doing to prevent this from working...

Thanks,
    ^A^

18. imagic

imagic Well-Known Member

So, do I have this clear? You guys are saying that in the WHM under backup, you do have backup enabled and yet in your customer's control panels, when they click on backup, it has a message saying backup is not enabled, right?

If this is true, open a support ticket. Something is wrong, it should be giving the customer the option of downloading a backup of their webpages, databases, emails, and email filters. At least, that's how it is on my servers.

19. Aerosmith

This is EXACTLY what I am saying. :)

In WHM I have backup fully enabled. I have a 2nd HD installed and use it for backups.

When I go to ANY user or reseller cPanel I get the error message that cPanel backups are not enabled.

How do I open a support ticket?

20. Aerosmith

BTW, my server is located with RackShack. I have been asking there and here for help with this and so far no luck what-so-ever. It is an issue that seems to be present for many colo sites and server DCs.

Thanks,
    ^A^