The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Backup of domain with 550 MB quota taking 46GB of space

Discussion in 'Data Protection' started by bs.reksoprodjo, Mar 9, 2010.

1. bs.reksoprodjo

Hi all,

My server have 2 hdd :
    1. 1st hdd --> /home (70 GB)
    2. 2nd hdd --> /home2 (140 GB) --> this hdd just been added a 2 days ago.

I rearrange the account from /home to /home2 (all the domains take only 40% in hdd2)

/home --> not used

I set the backup directory to /home2/backup

I very surprised that got email notification this morning saying /home2 already used 100%

2 hours after that email notification, /home2 suddenly reduced to 75% (I didn't do anything to the server)

I suspect that this issue came from backup process that running at 00:00 this morning, so I take a look at the /home2/backup directory.
    I found 1 file (backup file of 1 domain) take a lot of space (46 GB), where the others backup files look normal.
    When I check to that account, the quota only set for 550 MB quota and this domain only use 88 MB space.

How can this happened ? can anybody explain and how to fix this issue ?

TIA
    -anto-

2. bs.reksoprodjo

it seems like nobody having the same issue like us....:)

3. lorio

lorio Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    How did you checked that the spaceusage is only 88 MB? Via command line (E.g. du -s -h)? Via a WHM/Cpanel info (E.g. List Accounts Disk Used)?

With certain Apache/PHP configurations the fileowner differs. E.g. a account with a gallery where a lot of files are uploaded as nobody/nobody will show a different spaceusage when only the files of the account owner are counted. WHM shows e.g. 200 MB and the whole account uses e.g. 2GB.

4. bs.reksoprodjo

I checked from WHM and du

yes you are right, I found out that a lot of big files (execeeding the quota limitation really resides in that domain directories with nobody/nobody --> so the actual disk used for that account is really takes up 46 Gigs (this issue is not a backup problem, but quota problem with file owner permission of nobody/nobody which are not counted as quota for that user)

How do I prevent this ? customers only subscribe a small amount of space but they use exceeding the allowed quota space for them

regards,
    -anto-