The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Backup only account config?

Discussion in 'Data Protection' started by tbenoit, May 13, 2010.

1. tbenoit

tbenoit Member

Is there an officially supported way to only backup the account configuration (everything needed to recreate the account but not the homedir, MySQL databases, etc)?

If not, will these edits to /scripts/cpbackup perform the trick (we'd make a copy of it and edit/run the copy):

Code:
    Change:

my $pkgacct = '/scripts/pkgacct';

To: 

my $pkgacct = '/scripts/pkgacct --skiphomedir';
    Code:
    Change:

$ENV{'pkgacct-mysql'} = 'yes';

TO:

$ENV{'pkgacct-mysql'} = 'no';

2. Spiral

Spiral BANNED

Account details are stored in /var/cpanel/users ....

I am more curious the specific application you have mind here that you would want full account details but not account content backed up.

3. tbenoit

tbenoit Member

I'd like cPanel to be able to restore/recreate accounts from a cPanel backup but have no need for it to restore the files and MySQL databases.

Just about any backup software running on a server at a regular interval can restore the individual cPanel user's files and databases. With that running regularly there is no need to perform a full cPanel backup, just enough to allow cPanel to restore the account/settings/email accounts/forwarders/DNS/etc, but not the homedir or MySQL databases.