The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Backup question

Discussion in 'Data Protection' started by infinityl, Mar 9, 2012.

1. infinityl

infinityl Active Member

Hi all!
    Anyone know if the backup that is configured from the whm backup the system itself and all of the domains dns settings etc??

The issue is that my server primary disk is failing (where is installed linux and cpanel), and I have the backups that whm / cpanel do.

The question is, when I change the main disk and reinstall linux and cpanel. When i restore that backup (the one that is maked from whm backup) also restores all configurations, security, mail, etc ... server,... or i have to config all again ??

Regards!!

#1 infinityl, Mar 9, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 9, 2012
  2. Infopro

Infopro cPanel Sr. Product Evangelist
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    That depends on the settings you have selected in the Backup Options.
    Configure Backup - cPanel Documentation

Domains, DNS settings, email yes, "system itself", security configuration of the server, no.

Once the new server is online, before you add any accounts you will still need to reconfigure that server from the top down as you did originally. And then you'd restore your properly backed up accounts.

3. DeWebDude

DeWebDude Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hi infopro,

To be clear, I understand about the user accounts and how that backups up in a single file everything for the user account which can be restored on another server easily.
    My main question is similar to infinityl in asking that all of the WHM configuration settings, skel cusomizations etc can NOT be backed up?
    I basically have to repeat all steps from scratch?

Also, if we used a couple of WHM's in a cluster for lack of a better term, do they share per say settings with exception of course if IP's etc?

I ask this because maybe I can "migrate" the WHM configs etc?
    Also, if I did have multiple accounts, I know how you can make a backup or cpmove and restore them, but is there something completely automated like migrate accounts 1,3,4,8,12 from box A to box B?

Thanks!

Thanks

4. Infopro

Infopro cPanel Sr. Product Evangelist
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter: