The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Backup question

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Wicked, Mar 4, 2006.

1. Wicked

Wicked Well-Known Member

If i have a php based site that uses a MySQL database can i just use the backup option in Cpanel and then have it restored.

I want to move to another hosting company and i need to see how hard it is going to be to get my site back online again and how fast i can do it. I would like minimal downtime.

2. AndyReed

AndyReed Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

If both companies use Linux, your Web site can be imported. If MySQL won't get imported, then you can tar and zip the DB and transfer it using a scp or rsync command. There shouldn't be any downtime.

3. Wicked

Wicked Well-Known Member

What do you mean by IF MySQL won't get imported?

Does that mean that it will not get imported with the backup or does it mean that if there are problems and for some reason the backup does not get it right you can use the rsync command?

Thanks for the help.

4. chirpy

chirpy Well-Known Member

To answer the question you actually asked - yes, if you use the cPanel backup for the site you should be able to have the new host restore it to create your new account and restire it as you had it on your old hosting account.