The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Backup questions

Discussion in 'Data Protection' started by MattGetWeb, Aug 10, 2005.

1. MattGetWeb

MattGetWeb Well-Known Member

Hi all.

I'm just trying to get a handle on cPanel backups. My versions are cPanel 10.2.0-S83 & WHM 10.1.0.

-Does cPanel log backups? If so, where?
    -Can I get an email confirmation of backup status - success/fail/objects?
    -I backup to an ftp server, which isn't compatible with config backups (at least, that's what WHM says). Do I need to script this myself? If so, what files/dirs should I back up so I can successfully restore from "bare metal"?
    -How does cPanel backup MySQL? I looked through /scripts/cpbackup for the expected mysqldump, but I don't see it.
    -As mentioned, I backup to an ftp server, set up in WHM's Backup -> Configure Backup form. When I select Restore Backups, it says "Sorry, there are no backups located at /backup/cpbackup!" So, how do I do a restore "the cPanel way"?

I'm happy to be pointed at relevant documentation.

Thanks!

--Matt ;^]

ps. First post! :p

2. linux-image

linux-image Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    backup logs : yes, if u have set backups, logs will be sent to the "Server Contact E-Mail Address" mentioned under the Edit Setup of the WHM

backup to an ftp server: cpbackup creates a tar file that is just uploaded as a file to the ftp server you mentioned. there is not reason y it shld flag an error finding an incompatibility.

How does cPanel backup MySQL: It dosent go for a dump. Rather it picks the entire mysql database folder corresposnding the domain and tar's it along.

Sorry, there are no backups located at /backup/cpbackup: U will need to ftp back or transfer back the tar file that has been pushed to the ftp server back to /backup/cpbackup and then do the restoration.

3. MattGetWeb

MattGetWeb Well-Known Member

Hi linux-image. Thanks for the reply.

hmm. That doesn't seem to be working for me. I do receive system generated emails, though. Maybe it's in a later version than I have?

When I configure backups, there's an option for "Backup Config Files" which I set to Enable. When I click Save, the redirect page tells me "Only accounts can be backed up over ftp. The configuration file backup option has been turned off." There's no other option for setting configuration backups. I may have to look at backing up to disk first, and transfer the files to a different machine afterwards. From another thread I found here, there doesn't appear to be any post-backup function, so that adds another layer of complexity (figuring out if backups have completed).

hmm, again. Time for me to have a look through the MySQL doco and compare it to /scripts/cpbackup and get a better understanding of what's happening.

Ah, OK. Thanks. :)