The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Backup questions

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by _Sam_, Mar 19, 2008.

1. _Sam_

_Sam_ Well-Known Member

Hello.

I know cPanel do not recommed backing up to /home, but as i only have one drive in my server, i cannot make a /backup mount.

So what i am wondering is:

Would it be OK to tell cpbackup to backup to /home/backup and then have /home/backup rsync'd to a NAS server, then remove the backup files in /home/backup/* after the backup to the nas box is complete?

Thanks.

2. _Sam_

_Sam_ Well-Known Member

Anyone? :)

3. nyjimbo

nyjimbo Well-Known Member

You could backup to the same drive and then ftp/rsync the backups off the machine, but you would have to create the ftp/rsync script (unless someone has already posted one).

The problem with this kind of setup is that you will have the same disk doing all the work and it will be alot of thrashing and it will be slow. You will also have to keep an eye on how much free space you have, it seems to take about twice the actual size of the data to backup to create the final backup files. If you run out half way through you would end up with bad backups and no space left on your home partition.

4. _Sam_

_Sam_ Well-Known Member

Thanks for the reply nyjimbo

Is it possible to backup via SCP or SFTP via cpbackup? I know it's possible to backup via FTP but that isn't very secure.

5. nyjimbo

nyjimbo Well-Known Member

Well you dont mean backup, right?. That part is done by something like the Cpanel backup, an rsync, or using a tar or pax program. What you mean is transfer the files AFTER they have been backed up?. You can use almost any file transfer program, but if you are concerned about security then go for that.

Just be aware that you might have to work on the scripts all your own if nobody else is automating the file transfer like you are.

If you havent already done it, check out this thread for lots of discussion and ideas:

http://forums.cpanel.net/showthread.php?t=58096&highlight=Remote+FTP+Backup

#5 nyjimbo, Apr 19, 2008
    Last edited: Apr 19, 2008