The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

backup restoration hangs

Discussion in 'Data Protection' started by Mielsvs, Jun 30, 2014.

1. Mielsvs

Mielsvs Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    My cPanel has updated past night, which seems to have crashed a database beyond repair. The database is about 2 GB. I've followed those steps trying to recover:

• I've started the restoration of the account via [WHM, Backup, Backup Restoration, restore by account], choosing the most recent date available
    • after about 2 hours I started to get suspicious, so I looked in to the backup files
      I noticed this folder /backup/2014-06-30/accounts/cpanelpkgrestore.TMP.work.yYFBNhdViABuuigD
      In the parent folder I noticed the .gz backup file of the account, which was far smaller than I expected.
    • I concluded the backup routine of WHM is scheduled after the update process. So the corrupted database have been backup up.
    • I wanted to abort the current restoration, and start a new one for one day earlier
    But I can't get the current restoration process to abort! Thus I can't start a new restoration.

I've tried the following to abort the running one:
    • rename the folder /backup/2014-06-30/accounts/cpanelpkgrestore.TMP.work.yYFBNhdViABuuigD
    • forcefull reboot
    • /usr/local/cpanel/bin/backup_restore_manager delete_all_regardless
    Now what?

Ohw, I also found somewhere that the restoration routines won't overwrite an existing database, so by now I've also dropped the database manually.
    Quite frustrated by now... We've got 10.000 unique visitors a day, and we've been down almost all day now. Really want to get things up and running fast. Having to use a backup of over 24 hours old is bad enough.

- - - Updated - - -

Btw: A manual work around is welcome too, as long as I can restore this specific database.

I've extracted the .gz backup of the day before, which should contain a valid backup. But how to restore a specific database with those files?

Also noticed that I did drop the database (using ssh), but it still shows in [WHM, SQL Services, Manage Databases]

#1 Mielsvs, Jun 30, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 30, 2014
  2. Mielsvs

Mielsvs Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    I found that while the most recent backup.gz was too small to be valid, I was able to extract the .sql file from it.
    I've created a new (empty) database with the same name first. I've also found how to use the .sql file to insert into a database using mysql in ssh.
    This is running for 10 minutes now. Do wonder how long it usually takes for a 1.3 GB to restore...

- - - Updated - - -

The answer is: 15 minutes :).

While the database is succesfully recovered by now we're still stuck with the status "Restoring Account" at [WHM, Backup, Backup Restoration]. Sincerely hope there is no restoration process running! How to kill it?

3. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello :)

Please feel free to open a support ticket so we can take a closer look. You can post the ticket number here so we can update this thread with the outcome.

Thank you.

4. Netcrusher

Netcrusher Active Member

I'm also having the same issue, I started a backup that's now stuck into "Restoring Account" state.
    I cannot remove this backup restoration...

Please help!

#4 Netcrusher, Aug 26, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 26, 2014
  5. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Could you verify what version of cPanel is installed on your system?

Code:
    cat /usr/local/cpanel/version
    Thank you.