The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Backup Restoration

Discussion in 'Data Protection' started by thetimp, May 16, 2014.

1. thetimp

thetimp Registered

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    Hi Guys,

I am a little confused.

I have just configured the (New) backup on my server.
    CENTOS 6.5 x86_64 standard – beta WHM 11.42.1 (build 15)
    Configured the additional destination of Amazon S3, set up the bucket..
    Ran the backup /usr/local/cpanel/bin/backup --force
    I got the [backup] Backup complete email, and can see the tar file up at Amazon.

Great, I thought!

Lets have a look at restoring that backed up data..

So as per: https://documentation.cpanel.net/dis...up+Restoration

I went into Backup Restoration, and found nothing to restore by Account or Date..
    I checked /backup/2014-05-16, and found it has two directories "accounts" and "system"
    Accounts is empty, and System has subdirectories (dirs, files) with files (etc_cpanel.tar.gz etc) in them.

I checked my config, and see that I had not checked "retain backups in the default backup directory"..
    (so why are there any files in /backup/2014-05-16 ????)

Anyhow, I presume i need to copy the xxx.tar file from Amazon, back to the server so I can restore from it?
    Can anyone let me know how and where to put it?

And continuing on from this thread:
    http://forums.cpanel.net/f49/disaste...up-398841.html

Have i only backed up the user accounts?

I had assumed this backup, was backing up the CPanel installation, so i could simply bring up a server with Centos on it, install WHM and CPanel, then restore using this backup?

If thats not the case what are people doing for disaster recovery??

regards
    The Timp

2. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello :)

The user backups should include all data necessary to restore the accounts to their original states. Which specific configurations are you looking to restore? Please see the following document for instructions on how to restore backups that are stored on a remote destination:

Remote Restoration

Thank you.

3. thetimp

thetimp Registered

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    Hi,

thanks for the reply

Yes i read that doco

From that I see the backup directory should be"
    "The path will resemble $BACKUPDIR/$date/accounts/ where $BACKUPDIR is the variable from /var/cpanel/backups/config Also, $date follows the yyyy-mm-dd format, and the date is either current or past"

For anyone else reading this the default location (for me at least) is /backup

But as i said above, if the backup file is at Amazon, what is the procedure for retrieving it, and locating it on the server?
    I assume i need to do that to restore by Account or Date??

Copy it down to another machine and then FTP it back up to the server ( at /Backup/yyyy-mm-dd)? - surely not?

As to what specific to i want to restore - i would like to restore all the accounts and preferably the WHM/Cpanel installation as well.
    It looks like Backup Restoration is set up to restore accounts only..
    What if the issue with the account is due to an issue with a file in the PHP or Apache setup that has become corrupt?

It took multiple tweaks of PHP and Apache to get the site operational, I documented these, but would prefer if I did a full system restore (if there is such a thing), that those modifications were included..

I can see that most demands for restoration would come from the Account Holders, but what about us WHM operators?

From reading other articles it looks like the WHM/Cpanel installation is not able to be restored presently... so what is everyone else doing? building a new machine from scratch, snapshotting the vm and making a copy of that?

regards
    The Timp

- - - Updated - - -

p.s

It looks like my other thread about "[backup] System backups will not be uploaded to any remote destinations" appearing in the backup logs has been deleted..

If anyone has any idea why this line is appearing in my backup log, even though the backup is being uploaded to Amazon S3 can you let me know :)

Just worried i have not configured the backup correctly.

regards
    The Timp

4. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    1. There are no native tools to backup an entire image of a server or cPanel/WHM installation. The recommended steps when restoring a server completely are to reinstall the OS and cPanel, and then restore the accounts from backups. Some third-party providers such as Idera do offer commercial solutions that include a full backup image of the entire system. The following thread also provides information that while a bit dated, you may find helpful:

Moving Full cPanel/WHM Server

2. As for the remote backups, yes, you must manually obtain the backups from the Amazon S3 server using a method of retrieval that Amazon supports. You may want to review their documentation to see what exact methods are supported.

3. System backups (backed up configuration files) are not supported for remote destinations automatically. You can manually enable this using the instructions from:

cPanel - System Backups

Thank you.